More information when object already exists

Started by raypetter, March 21, 2015, 04:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raypetter

From time to time, I find myself trying to locate "objects that already exists". This is becoming time consuming. When adding the host, the error message only displays that the object already exists but shows no additional information. So I am lost as to exactly why the error is displayed.

This happened just now when I tried to register a "foobar.domain.com" and I get the error message. I know for a fact that "foobar" was never registered in netxms before (new naming standard) but perhaps the IP was used on an old object that was removed. I tried registering "foobar" with both dns and ip - same result every time.

It would be a major improvement if the error message could show some additional details about the duplicate object.

Tatjana Dubrovica

Try to find your object using IP filter in the filter of object tree:

Buy default search is done by node name. In this type of search can be used
'*' and '?' symbols for pattern search.

But there are few prefix that can be used for other search options:
- '/' - will search in comments
- '>' - will search by IP address

Example: ">10.5.0.12"

raypetter

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the tip but my feature request still stands. I was not able to locate the duplicate object, and didn't get any hits on a simple ">x.x.x.*" search. I suspect a bug, as I am 99% sure that the ip is not in use in any of the current objects visible. It might have been used previously on some depricated host.

Next step is to search the database I guess.

Tatjana Dubrovica

I would advise to check debug log of the server on a debug level 4 while node is added. There will be written reason why this node is not added:

[23-Mar-2015 10:42:36.057] [DEBUG] [CLSN-0] Received message CMD_CREATE_OBJECT
[23-Mar-2015 10:42:36.057] [DEBUG] PollNode(10.5.0.27/0) zone 0
[23-Mar-2015 10:42:36.057] [DEBUG] PollNode: Node 10.5.0.27 already exist in database
[23-Mar-2015 10:42:36.057] [DEBUG] [CLSN-0] Sending message CMD_REQUEST_COMPLETED

Tatjana Dubrovica

If there will be message that node already exists in database, then most probably it means that node with this IP is in the system scheduled for deletion, but can't be deleted because of some lock. In this case restart of server should help.

raypetter

Thanks, I'll try that.

However, I am still hopeful for some more info in the GUI.

Netxms is a wonderful application, but I often end up in a few annoyances that could have been avoided with a bit more verbose message output.

raypetter

Tried restarting netxms, and still no luck. I am not able to add two critical servers that need monitoring because of this.

raypetter

After upgrading netxms to the latest stable release, I was able to use the search feature as mentioned in this thread. I quickly located the problem, and it turns out netxms did exactly what it was supposed to. I blame myself for implementing a new naming standard on our servers.. Would still love to see more feedback to the user when this kind of problem occurs.

"can't add node A because of ip conflict with node B"

Tatjana Dubrovica

Tatjana Dubrovica

raypetter

Fantastic. Also love what you guys have done with the download page (stable and development branch). Keep up the good work.