Centralized Upgrade - can I control agent location and config file location?

Started by BillLortz, September 01, 2015, 10:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillLortz

I am very interested in using the centralized upgrade feature of NetXMS.

But, we have a non-standard directory structure where we like to deploy items:

For the binaries and highly static info, we would like to use c:\programs\NetXms\NetXmsA\ as the path.
   For configuration files, and less static info we like to use c:\programdata\NetXMS\NetXMA\...   (This is where we would put the agent config files)

This structure allows us to keep the root directory clean.   

I tried the upgrade feature and found that it ignored the existing structure and installed everything in default locations and even duplicated the service creation.

Is there some way of specifying alternative locations?   For example, could I edit the npi file and add a /DIR=c:\programs\netxms\netxmsa to specify a different install location.   Since it doesn't appear that you have an install option to specify the config file location, if I were to put a symbolic link in the install location that points to the agent file in its location, would that work?

If there is no current method, could this be considered as an enhancement?

Bill

Victor Kirhenshtein

Actually, when upgrading installer is supposed to keep whatever installation directory was specified during initial installation. What was initial version and what version you are using for upgrade? As for alternate config file location, currently it's not possible to set it in installer, but symlinks should work.

Best regards,
Victor

BillLortz

I suspect the issues with not preserving was self-inflicted.   We have an internal distribution process that was used in the past.   

I notice that there appear to be registry settings that show the current location.   On machines where our internal process was used I don't see those settings.   

I'm assuming that if I create registry entries that match the current locations of the files, then NetXMS agent deployments will use those entries to decide where to place the files.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Yes, it should pick correct location then. Also, you can set config file location in registry by setting: HKLM\Software\NetXMS\Agent\ConfigFile (and optionally HKLM\Software\NetXMS\Agent\ConfigIncludeDir).

Best regards,
Victor