agent configuration outside network

Started by lotus9229, April 21, 2019, 02:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lotus9229

Hello all,  I am using Netxms to monitor all the device within the network . Now, I have to monitor nodes which is currently accessible only through Remote Desktop Connection. What are the ways to connect nodes which are only accessible through RDP ?  I have installed netxms agent on those RDP nodes , but having problem configuring them as they are from different network.

StanHubble

You will need to expose your netxms server port 470x to those "RDP accessable nodes" or at least one to act as a proxy on each of the remote networks.  Then setup a certificate on the server and add a "serverconnection=<Externalipofyournetxmsserver>" line in the agent configuration file of the proxy node on the remote network.  Optionally (but recommended) you can enable zones on your server and assign each remote proxy as the proxy agent for each zone you define.  That's the condensed version of remote connections, there are a number of posts here on the forums that describe each of the steps.

Have fun and ask questions..
stan

lotus9229

You will need to expose your netxms server port 470x to those "RDP accessable nodes"
Do you mean port forwarding ?
I have tried port forwarding option  too. The remote node and my computer are actually under same VPN. How actually proxy agent work ? What step should I carry out ?

Tursiops

You can configure your agents in two ways:
1. Agent to Server connection
2. Server to Agent connection

Option 1 will require certificates and agent tunnels (see https://www.netxms.org/documentation/adminguide/server-management.html#server-configuration-for-agent-to-server-connection-tunnel-connection). This setup is a bit more involved, but makes a lot of sense if you are connecting to agents behind routers/firewalls which the NetXMS server cannot talk to directly.
Option 2 will simply require the NetXMS server be able to talk to your NetXMS agent on TCP port 4700. If you have a VPN between your server and the Agents, that's probably the easiest setup. Just make sure your Windows firewall doesn't block the incoming connection from the NetXMS server to your agent. You won't need the ServerConnection parameter for this either, MasterServers is enough.

I recommend reading through the documentation to get a better idea on how the above work: https://www.netxms.org/documentation/adminguide/agent-management.html#