Discovery of MAC addresses

Started by DanG, July 05, 2018, 10:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Hello,

I installed a new NetXms 2.2.6 server on Debian vsphere vm. I set SNMP credentials in NetXms and verified it can poll SNMP information from the switches.
Networks has different vlan's with a core switch doing the routing between them. NetXms is connected to one of these vlan's.
Nodes were detected on IP base on all vlan's. However, for most of them no MAC is set.
Is this expected? Configuration issue? Are agents needed on the different vlan's to gather the information?

Kind regards,
Dan

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

I assume those nodes does not have SNMP nor NetXMS agent. In that case server relies on ARP caches to find MAC addresses for corresponding IP addresses - so it need access to some device(s) where those IP addresses are in ARP cache. Check that NetXMS server has SNMP access to your core switch and that it can read ARP table from that switch.

Best regards,
Victor

StanHubble

We have been seeing this as well, and i finally had time to dig into it.  It seems that in our case any nodes discovered without an agent (netxms or snmp) since mid may do not have a mac address associated with them on the "unknown" interface.  This coincides to when i installed 2.2.5 on the server.  The ip of the node is definitely in the arp cache of a router that is in the same "zone" and shows up in a 'show arp <nodeidofrouter>' in nxadm.  The proxy agent versions are a mixture of 2.2.6 and 2.2.7 windows and linux, and it happens in all cases.

thx
stan

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

I was able to reproduce and fix this issue. Fix will be included into 2.2.8 release.

Best regards,
Victor

DanG

Thanks StanHubble and Viktor.

I was relieved to hear it's a bug and not something wrong on our network.
Any ETA for 2.2.8?

Kind regrads,
Dan