How does Merge Duplicate Nodes work?

Started by tzcole, July 10, 2019, 10:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tzcole

Hi,

I'm wondering how the merge duplicate nodes is intended to work?  I have an Isilon (SNMP discovered), whose discovery appears as a large range of IP addresses. There are more IPs than nodes.  This is part of the architecture to distribute the load and rebalance for node maintenance/failure.   But each IP appears as it's own node.  For simplicity I have explained a scaled down example below.

4 physical nodes (where node is a server) in a cluster.  The cluster manages 20 IPs that are distributed across the nodes.  Each node may have 5 IPs for clients to connect too.  The Isilon distributes clients across the IP's via integrated DNS server and DNS delegation for the service name.  Should a node fail, the IPs are re-distributed across the remaining nodes.

NetXMS will discover all 20 IPs and create nodes for each IP.  But I don't have 20 nodes, in my example, I have 4.  I have set NetworkDiscovery.MergeDuplicateNodes to 1, but still the nodes are duplicated for every IP in the cluster.  "Sys Description" is unique for each node, so during discovery I end up with many IPs with the same "Sys Description" as a unique object in NetXMS.  See the image below of Object Details -> Nodes list view.  My Image shows an 8 node cluster.  Notice that in the Sys Description column, the names are identical for each unique node.  I have some obfuscation in the IPs and node "Sys Description" columns, but the point is that I have a unique ID for each IP, instead of for each node.

Image: See attachment.

I'm not sure how the Merge Duplicates works, but I would like there to be only one node with many IPs.  I like that the subnets view under "Entire Network" shows each IP, but for this type of cluster each IP should point to the appropriate unique nodes object ID.  In other words, merged.

Cheers,

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

such situation usually can happen when NetXMS server cannot get interface list from node. How interface tab for such node looks like? Does those devices support interface MIB and IP MIB?

Best regards,
Victor

tzcole

Hi Victor,

I have included a screenshot of the Interfaces tab for one of the nodes of the Isilon cluster.

I also performed an SNMP walk, from within NetXMS, and exported to a .csv file.  Searching the CSV, I was able to find support for both IP and Interface MIB.

It looks like the IP's which match the interface TAB are from the "ipAddrTable" of the IP MIB.

But all of the usable IP's (which the Isilon clients connect to) of the system are found in the "ipNetToMediaTable", also of the IP MIB.  The IP addresses found in this table are NOT the ones listed on the Interfaces tab.

Cheers,

Victor Kirhenshtein

That's the problem - because NetXMS server do not receive cluster IP addresses from device it cannot identify them as being same device. ipNetToMediaTable is just ARP table - having IP address there does not imply that it is local to the node. Could you please provide MIB files ISILON-MIB and ISILON-TRAP-MIB (documentation says that they can be downloaded from device web UI)? I'll check if cluster addresses can be retrieved from vendor MIB and if yes then problem could be solved by creating custom driver for Isilon devices.

Best regards,
Victor

tzcole

Here is the ISILON-MIB.txt and ISILON-TRAP-MIB.txt.

Cheers,