News:

We really need your input in this questionnaire

Main Menu

ICMP on Windows 2000 Server

Started by rmz, February 05, 2008, 08:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmz

I have the Icmp agent loaded, and can get a DCI value of 0 when I use either the loopback ip or the actual ip of the server itself.  However when I try any other ip, I get the timeout value.  I can ping those ip's from a cmd window without issue. Any thoughts ? 

Victor Kirhenshtein

Some additional questions:
1. Is there a firewall on a server?
2. Does NetXMS agent running under "Local System" account?

Best regards,
Victor

rmz

I don't have a firewall on the machine.

I have both the server and the daemon running under a domain admin account.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Try to stop IPSEC Services if they are running and are not needed. I can't remember exactly, but probably I've seen that running IPSEC Services interfere with custom programs working with ICMP while system ping works fine. Anyway, I'll try to find more information.

Best regards,
Victor

rmz

Intresting, it does have IPSEC services running since it acts as a low volume vpn endpoint as well.  I'll try and move the core server to another box.

Thanks

rmz

Works now!  Did exactly what you said, I shut down the RAS/Routing services and it worked fine.  Will move core services to another node.

One more quick question.  Using the object map, I can watch the various managed nodes for their status.  In the case of an unmanaged node is it possible to some how use this data collection point (icmp.ping values) with an unmanaged node on the object map, so I can verify status for them as well? 

Thanks.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Quote from: rmz on February 06, 2008, 05:10:30 AM
One more quick question.  Using the object map, I can watch the various managed nodes for their status.  In the case of an unmanaged node is it possible to some how use this data collection point (icmp.ping values) with an unmanaged node on the object map, so I can verify status for them as well? 

You can just switch them to managed - if node doesn't have neither SNMP agent nor NetXMS agent, server will just ping it regularly and change status accordingly. Alternatively, you can define DCI for ICMP.ping(unmanaged_node_adderess) parameter on node with PING subagent loaded. But in this case, status of the unmanaged node object will not be changed.

Best regards,
Victor