NetXMS 2.2.7- Network Maps

Started by rameshpavaluri, August 17, 2018, 10:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rameshpavaluri

Hi Victor,

I have installed the new version 2.2.7 and when i tried to create the Network maps in Layer 2 Topology i selected the root node and i could able to see only a few switches from total of 59 switches and all scattered and not linked as shown in the attached image
and also when i created with IP topology maps i couldn't open the map itself

Need your help on how to create a map which will link all the 59 switches in the network

Regards
Ramesh

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

what kind of switches do you have? From screenshot it seems that NetXMS relies on STP for topology discovery which is not very reliable. Is it possible to turn on LLDP or CDP on your switches?

Best regards,
Victor

rameshpavaluri

Hi,

Switches are Allied Telesis, have to check on enabling the LLDP.

Can you help me with most reliable version NetXMS to use in my project

Regards
Ramesh

Tursiops

Hi Ramesh,

2.2.7 is the current version and I'd recommend going with it, unless you have a very specific reason not to.
For all I know, there are no known issues with LLDP or CDP discovery.

For your Allied Telesis, if it supports LLDP, there should be a menu item for it and global settings where you can enable it.
Otherwise connect via SSH, enter configuration mode ("conf t") and run either "lldp run" or "lldp enable".
Which one to use will depend on the exact switch you're using. If neither works, your switch does not support lldp.
I don't think Allied Telesis support CDP, but I have not really spent much time looking, that's just from the handful of switches I've encountered at customer sites.

With 59 switches, you may want to ensure your discovery radius for the map is set large enough, or it might not show everything that's connected.
When you first create a map, it can also take a while to actually be populated, i.e. if you create a new map and open it, chance is it'll be empty. Give it a couple of minutes to put it all together.

Cheers

rameshpavaluri

Hi Tursiops,

Thank you,

However i face the problem with connecting the server itself as attached and also as per Victors suggestion I have upgraded the Java 8 but still couldn't connect the server and also Victor mentioned this problem will be fixed in 2.2.8.

Hence i would require your help to suggest me more stable version with your experience to use in my project as i need to handover project to the customer.

Your prompt reply would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Ramesh

Tursiops

Hi Ramesh,

Your connectivity issue to the server was not mentioned previously in this posting, hence I am also not aware of the problem or the fix which Victor is implementing in 2.2.8. Based on the recommendation to upgrade to Java 8, I assume you are facing a Console problem. Unfortunately I am unable to really see anything on your screenshots, as it appears you attached very small thumbnail pictures.

For all I know, 2.2.8 will be released very soon. If Victor fixed the problem you are facing in that version my suggestion would be to wait for the release, rather than to attempt to go back to an older version.

Cheers

rameshpavaluri

Hi ,

fyr

Tursiops

Hi,

I'm not a developer and, running the same Java and NetXMS Console version, have not personally encountered the error you're seeing.
More or less common reasons for Java errors (which may or may not apply to you) with the Console would be:
- Running the wrong Console (32bit requires 32bit Java, 64bit requires 64bit Java; that's independent of the OS being 64bit).
- An older version of Java still being installed. Removing any old version can help here.
- A newer version of the Console being copied over an old, existing one. This can leave old files behind which can break things. Removing the Console completely and reinstalling it helps with this.
- Odd leftovers in the %USERPROFILE%\.nxmc\data\.metadata directory. You can delete this and it will be recreated when you restart the Console. Doing so will delete any cached logon information though.

I also just now found your other post where Victor mentioned that this is likely a packaging error which will be fixed in 2.2.8.
Linking it here for reference if other people run into this issue: https://www.netxms.org/forum/installation/netxms-on-mssql-2014/
Based on that, I'd simply wait for 2.2.8.

Cheers

rameshpavaluri

Hi Tursiops

I'm using Allied Telesis switches in my project and looking for the MIB for below mentioned switches

SNMP Object ID=.1.3.6.1.4.1.207.1.14.109
SNMP Object ID=.1.3.6.1.4.1.207.1.14.111
SNMP Object ID=.1.3.6.1.4.1.207.1.24.1
SNMP Object ID=.1.3.6.1.4.1.207.1.24.8
SNMP Object ID=.1.3.6.1.4.1.207.1.4.218

But NetXMS -MIB browser currently supports only the below attached MIBs. Could you please help me with updated /correct MIB file

Also the Allied Telesis switches has a proprietary ring called as EPSRing, does NetXMS forms the ring in Network Maps under IP topology for the EPSRing switches?

Regards
Ramesh

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

MIB browser will show whatever MIBs are installed in your system. If you need more AT MIBs, just install them onto the server as described and you should see them in MIB browser.

Topology displayed depends on information received from switches. If they report correct information through any standard topology MIB (LLDP, CDP, etc.) then correct topology will be displayed.

Best regards,
Victor

rameshpavaluri

Hi Victor,

I'm trying to add the below attached MIB file to the MIB browser and followed the steps mentioned in "Adding MIBs -support"

Compiling MIBs

Change suffix of your new MIB file to .txt

Copy your MIB file to /usr/share/netxms/mibs

C:\NetXMS\bin\nxmibc.exe -z -d C:\NetXMS\share\mibs -o C:\NetXMS\var\netxms.mib

when i execute the above  i received the below attached error, any help??

Victor Kirhenshtein

Looks like you have MIB called AT-SMI-MIB missing. Check that you have MIB file with .txt extension starting with

AT-SMI-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

Best regards,
Victor

rameshpavaluri

Hi Victor,

Thank you for help for MIBs

i have found a problem with Layer 2 topology in Network maps

From the below attachment you can find my main switch is MAINCR_GSX to which all the 59 other switches are connected.
But when i select the MAINCR_GSX as seed node i can see only 7 switches connected to it.  I tried with/without include end nodes, given the discovery radius  , LLDP is enabled  but the result is same.

I need to view, how all the 59 switches are interconnected to which port in Layer 2 topology

Any help?

Regards
Ramesh

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

please check object ID for MAINCR_GSX (you can find it on overview tab), then run the following command on NetXMS server command line:

nxadm -c "show topology <id>"

(replace <id> with actual node ID) and post it's output.

Best regards,
Victor

rameshpavaluri

Hi Victor,

please find the attached

Regards
Ramesh