Unable to get interface list from node

Started by hhoven, March 23, 2010, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhoven

Since some time I am unable to poll the configuration of MRV switches, NetXMS reports "Unable to get interface list from node". since the network is fairly static the last few months I encountered this problem a fortnight ago. My gut feeling says this problem occurs resulting from applying security updates to the Windows OS but I am not entirely sure about that. What I do know is that Poll Configuration always functioned normally untill recently. Since I encountered this problem I have updated NetXMS to the latest version ( 1.00 rc2) but this did not resolve the problem.

I tried the suggestion mentioned under the same topic (1-2 years old topic) and used GetIF to see if the problem resides in the switch or if NetXMS is causing this problem. GetIF worked without a hitch and does return the interface list. I then took a Wireshark trace and interestingly enough I see the information flowing by but somehow NetXMS is still thinking it does noet receive the interface list. I have attached wireshark traces of both NetXMS and GetIF.

Any suggestions what might be causing this problem and is there a way to create the interfaces manually?

Kind regards,
Henk Hoven

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hello!

Could you please run nxsnmpwalk on your switch for OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1, like this:

nxsnmpwalk <switch_ip> .1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1

and post output here?

Best regards,
Victor

hhoven

When run from the command prompt it times out. When I run it from within NetXMS it returns the management interface which, according to the mib browser seems to be the correct item to return. I have included the snmp walk from with NetXms and the MibBrowser as screenshot.

hhoven

I executed the command again, this time I supplied the community string  :D Following the resulting reply:

.1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.1.10.10.2.22 [40]: 10.10.2.22
.1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.2.10.10.2.22 [02]: 4093
.1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.3.10.10.2.22 [40]: 255.255.255.0
.1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.4.10.10.2.22 [02]: 1
.1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.5.10.10.2.22 [02]: 0

Victor Kirhenshtein

It's very strange. From the dumps I see that getif uses SNMP version 1, but NetXMS - version 2c. Could you try to change node configuration in NetXMS to use version 1 and do configuration poll?

Best regards,
Victor

hhoven

Sure no problem ...Nope, same problem. After the poll the version is reset to 2c, I presume NetXMS detects the switch is using version 2c.

What OID is used by NetXMS to obtain the configuration/interface list?

I can then also go back to MRV and ask if they have a clue on whats going on. For your information, we are also utilizing the bigger 10G core switches of MRV (the ones giving me a headache are small CPE's) that do not complain and nicely return their interface list to NetXMS.

Perhaps I should take a trace of them as well so that we are able to compare?

Regards,
Henk

hhoven

As an afterthought ... earlier this evening I also tried to retrieve the interface list from the commandline using nxsnmpwalk ... that worked!

hhoven

Hi Victor,

Should I take additional data, are you working this issue or should I escalate to MRV

Kind regards,
Henk

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Currently I suppose that problem is in incorrect device response when using SNMP version 2c (or probably incorrect request from NetXMS, but I've never seen such behavior with any other devices). I'll add an option to disable automatic SNMP version detection during configuration poll so you will be able to force usage of SNMP version 1 and we will see if this helps.

Best regards,
Victor

testos

Hi!

I can reproduce such problem in a Cisco A.S.A. firewall. NetXMS reports "Unable to get interface list from node" from Poll -> Interfaces names.

Snmpwalk command retrieve interfaces names from NetXMS server:
Quote[root@GesRed2 ~]# snmpwalk -v 1 -c xxxxxxx 10.1x.xxx.xxx | grep -i ifName   
IF-MIB::ifName.1 = STRING: port1
IF-MIB::ifName.2 = STRING: port2
IF-MIB::ifName.3 = STRING: port3
IF-MIB::ifName.4 = STRING: port4
IF-MIB::ifName.5 = STRING: port5
IF-MIB::ifName.6 = STRING: port6
IF-MIB::ifName.7 = STRING: port7
IF-MIB::ifName.8 = STRING: port8
IF-MIB::ifName.9 = STRING: port9
IF-MIB::ifName.10 = STRING: port10
IF-MIB::ifName.11 = STRING: ssl.root
IF-MIB::ifName.12 = STRING: SLB_LexWeb