UPS monitoring and shutdown

Started by DH, March 10, 2012, 11:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DH

Hi,

I've been looking at monitoring UPS' with NetXMS but currently can only get it to work by disabling the monitoring / shutdown software on the server. The example I'm looking at is a Dell PowerEdge server with an APC Smart-UPS 1500 connected to the server via COM1 and using Microsoft's inbuilt UPS monitoring software.

I'm guessing I cannot use NetXMS AND some other software because the COM port gets locked by the monitoring software, but if that is the case how do other people get around this ? It is of prime importance to us to have the server shutdown automatically by the monitoring software and it seems to me to be prudent to have such monitoring very local to the server rather than remote as who knows what intervening kit might fail in a power outage ?

Any guidance on this would be most welcome.

Regards,
David

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

I doubt that there are any possibility to access UPS from NetXMS agent in parallel with other software. The only good solution I could think of is to add additional functionality to UPS subagent, so it can shutdown server if UPS battery is running out. If this could be interesting, I will add it as feature request.

Best regards,
Victor

DH

Hi Victor,

Thanks for coming back on this, your answer confirms what I thought.

I think it is safer for software on the server to initiate the shutdown rather than such software report to an external system in order to initiate a remote shutdown, there are too many potential points of failure in the critical path of the latter method (at least in our network model).

Regards,
David