NetXMS Support Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Additional status code - down  (Read 181 times)

paul

• View Profile
Additional status code - down
« on: June 21, 2019, 01:31:26 pm »

When looking at status codes, I am forced to rely on a status of critical via a node_Down alarm. A node being down is both a status and a state of which I would like to know, separately, if a node is down. We have plenty of nodes with critical alarms, but I would like to show down as a unique code / colour / status. 

https://wiki.netxms.org/wiki/NXSL:NetObj - add it as Status ID = 9.

I hit this problem as I have nodes that are not down, their only fault is that they have an outstanding Node_Down alarm - and the node is not down.

By having this option, I could also set to auto-clear any Node_Down alarms where status NE down or "Status ID == 9".

I can also have a specific container for Status ID = 9.

paul

• View Profile
Re: Additional status code - down
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 06:41:55 pm »

After running NetXMS for a bit now, State is different to Status. Status is an escalating level of severity aggregating upwards.

State is separate and indicates whether a node is contactable via any of its configured mechanisms.

State should be shown as up / down relating to communication with the node and should show "since"

Status shows criticality of alarms assigned to the node.

A dependency should be able to be set globally and overridden at the node level - suspend DCI if State = down. This prevents DCI alarms and also prevents the template DCI's being disabled / removed for nodes that lose connectivity.

For SNMP DCI's , a node that drops connectivity should drop back to status polling (sysdescription only) and once State = UP (response received), DCI polling resumes.

The settings that are already present use Status interchangeably between Status Polling (Up/Down) and Status Alarms (Minor/Major/Critical) when Status Polling should be reflected in a variable called State or NodeState and displayed separately in the General box on the Overview page.

Status polling should also check for any Alarms for Node=Down and automatically clear them if found.

paul

• View Profile
Re: Additional status code - down
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 03:24:40 pm »

Was having a discussion with an icinga2 user and they have STATE as a severity which gets confusing - a Node that is down is critical - not because it has a status of critical - but because it has a state of down.

I like the simplistic view where I can look at the General panel of a Node and can see just what and where the problem is. Is the Node up or down, what is OK and what is NOT. This is standard Kepner Tregoe Problem Solving / Situational Analysis, in case anyone was wondering :)

A Node STATE is always UP or DOWN (or unmanaged)

A Node STATUS is OK / Warning / Major / Critical - made up of the following - each displayed in the General panel.

Interface Status (user selectable to affect Node STATUS - has a dependency on STATE being UP)
DCI Exception Status (user selectable to affect Node STATUS - has a dependency on Node STATE being up - show last value if STATE = down)
TRAP Exception Status (user selectable to affect Node STATUS) - still relevant if Node is up or down - shows what was happening on way down)