Set default polling origin to SNMP

Started by Millenium7, May 28, 2019, 06:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millenium7

I find the default of 'NetXMS Agent' annoying and a bit puzzling, as i'm regularly adding OID's to monitor via SNMP but very rarely adding anything specific to NetXMS agent commands. I'm sure most people are in the same boat and its just 1 more step needed to add items
Is it possible to change the default to SNMP or add an option for it in server configuration?

Tursiops

Quite the opposite for us. We're mostly using agents and are still adding new items to our templates from ExternalParameters, etc.
So from our perspective it works great and I wouldn't want to have to switch from SNMP every time. :)

Allowing the default to be changed via client preferences or server configuration option could be a nice tweak though.

paul

A couple of ways to do this.

For me - I would prefer when in a  template - right click - add SNMP parameter.

This already happens when you add a new parameter to a nodes data collection configuration, so should be easy to add as an addition right click option at template level.

As it stands, given I am already in a template that has SNMP DCI's - right click - duplicate - works even better as it already has an OID filled in and I can easily navigate to the OID I want.

The assumption is - that you have the MIB loaded :)

Millenium7

Quote from: Tursiops on May 28, 2019, 03:42:43 PM
Quite the opposite for us. We're mostly using agents and are still adding new items to our templates from ExternalParameters, etc.
So from our perspective it works great and I wouldn't want to have to switch from SNMP every time. :)

Allowing the default to be changed via client preferences or server configuration option could be a nice tweak though.

That's fair enough. I honestly don't know the majority of the user base but I would imagine it's primarily network devices rather than servers
An option to select would be the best of both worlds. As you can imagine having to change the drop down type a few hundred/thousand times gets old really fast, and that's exactly what we have to do  :-\

Quote from: paul on May 28, 2019, 06:16:50 PM
As it stands, given I am already in a template that has SNMP DCI's - right click - duplicate - works even better as it already has an OID filled in and I can easily navigate to the OID I want.

I don't like using duplicate because I often have different polling periods, retention, transformation scripts, 'display on overview page' etc and these aren't visible on the DCI window, only when editing that DCI. So there have been a few occasions where i've duplicated an entry then found it has a transformation script I don't want. Hence I just don't bother anymore and do it from scratch to avoid setting something I didn't want
What I would REALLY like is the ability to do bulk edits by selecting multiple DCI's, properties, then edit the relevant option and hit ok to save it to all. That way even if I duplicated the wrong one it would be very fast and easy to fix it by editing, making sure everything I don't want is unticked, everything I do is set and just hitting ok

paul

Good point on the duplicate option - will need to watch out for that and rethink the duplicate option completely.

Having a server configuration option of SNMP / Agent is the better option.

For SNMP, what about the option of displaying a list of the mibs loaded so you can select the one you want - or - what about setting the default oid to load? Auto fill in .1.3.6.1.4.1 would be 12 keystrokes every time I add from a mib. 

More often than not, I know the enterprise so being able to type in the enterprise number only would be fantastic.

Whilst I am here, it would also be nice to be able to display the mib tree numerically as I know I want to get to .1.3.6.1.4.1 for enterprise but remembering what each one is in order to navigate - hurts my head :( .

Being able to edit multiple DCI's and apply a common change to all of those DCI's in one hit was one of the few nice features of CA-Ehealth - may it RIP.