Link from certain dashboard-elements to object details of related nodes

Started by fbu, June 13, 2019, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbu

Dear NetXMS team,

as this is my first post on this forum, I shortly want to thank you for creating this awesome software product.

Over the course of the last few months, I got to research through NetXMS and learn, how most of its components and features are working.

During this time, there where some situations, in which I felt like there would be something useful missing.

Now, I want to share my ideas with you in this and the upcoming feature request posts, hoping that I can help to improve the tool for all users.  :)

############################

In my current setup, there are about 100 nodes to monitor, which are all bound to a container hierarchy under "Infrastructure Services".

For some of them, I created dashboards, containing only "Status Indicator" elements, to show the states of certain sets of nodes.

As this hierarchy currently has a depth of six, it can be pretty annoying to manually navigating through the containers, in order to access the object details of special nodes, each time their states are turning to something non-normal.

(To clarify: On each node's performance tab, there is a number of charts for its applied metrics, which is the preferred display option, as creating around 100 individual dashboards would be to time-consuming -> Which refers to one of my other feature requests of "Dashboard templates"  ;D)

My idea would be to have a connection from certain dashboard elements (e.g. Status indicators) to the object details of the related node.

Basically, I came up with two potential solutions:

1. Enable right-click dropdown menus on these dashboard elements and add the menu entry "Show object details" - The way I see it is, that this is the simpler solution, as this menu entry is already available, when right-clicking a node in the "Service Dependency" view of a node.

2. Allow object details to be added as "Drill down objects" - I would assume this to be harder to implement, but it would also be kind of useful, as double clicking a status indicator would directly lead the user to the node's object details.

Thank you for considering my idea. Within the upcoming days, a few more will appear on the forum.  ;)

Kind regards,
fbu

fbu

To add another point:
This could also be implemented for the geographical map (World Map view). There, if you want to access the object details of a device you chose in the map, you need to navigate to "Service dependency", open its dropdown menu there and hit "Show Object details".

I think, it would be nice to have the dropdown menu entry "Show Object Details" by default available. Maybe even not only in dashboards and geo-maps, but in every occasion, where you can open a dropdown menu for a specific object.

Kind regards,
fbu