Maintenance Mode

Started by pzandvoort, December 21, 2011, 07:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pzandvoort

I've seen this topic come up a few times: Could you please make a way to 'put a node into maintenance mode'? Scheduled would be super-awesome, but I'll gladly take manual. I really don't want this thing to wake me up at 3 in the morning when somebody is doing maintenance :)

From browsing through the 1.1.7 source, it looks like you have quite a bit of it in place with the 'disabled' status for a node. Just suspend all polling while the node is in maintenance mode. No data collected. No events generated. Etc. Just a single event that the node has changed status (into maintenance mode) and one when it's come out of maintenance mode.

Please? Pretty please?

Peter

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

You can use unmanage/manage as a workaround for manual maintenance mode. System do nothing with unmanaged node. The only drawback is that unmanage operation is hierarchical, i.e. all interfaces and services of a node will change status as well, and when you do "manage" node again, they all come into "managed" state, even if some of them was unmanaged before.

Best regards,
Victor

pzandvoort

The fact that it's hierarchical is actually great, I think. If the box gets put into maintenance mode, all its children should also be in maintenance mode anyway (unless they were unmanaged to begin with - they should!)

The issue with using managed/unmanaged as a maintenance mode is that it indeed changes the way you had things setup. On our switches, I only have a few things that need managed. 90% of the interfaces is set to unmanaged. I'd have to redo that setup every time.

If you can, have a look at how "What's Up Gold" does maintenance mode. Is really basic, but it works surprisingly well.
http://docs.ipswitch.com/WhatsUp_Gold_v12.3/WebHelp/13689.png