Infrastructure Services != Active Directory?

Started by Joham, June 11, 2013, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joham

Hi,
I would like to propose a feature request for the Infrastructure Services container in the Objects Tree View of the NetXMS management console.
Although probably not every company or organization has an active directory in their infrastructure, most companies do. Its actually used to manage the user departments and networks infrastructure by organizing objects into organizational units.
If I'm not mistaken, the infrastructure services container is meant for almost the same structure, but since its not integrating with active directory, it seems to me a little bit of redundant work. Especially when you have hundreds or more servers and workstations or other appliances in your network.

I do understand though that a feature request like this is not something you can program over night. More so, since it seems reasonable(wild guess) that the majority of NetXMS users run the server on debian, connecting to a highly secure domain controller, is an even more difficult job. Therefor I suggest to NOT make it cross os compatible at first.

Very curious what your opinion is about this idea.

Regards,
Joham

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

This feature seems interesting. I have added it to our issue tracker as feature request (https://www.radensolutions.com/chiliproject/issues/290). As for accessing AD from NetXMS server, on UNIX/Linux we probably can use LDAP.
Also, it is possible now to create Python script for nxshell (http://wiki.netxms.org/wiki/Using_nxshell_to_automate_bulk_operations) which will use LDAP to access AD and NetXMS API to create appropriate objects under infrastructure services tree. This will not be simple script though.

Best regards,
Victor

Joham

Hey Victor,

Thnx for your quick reply, I browsed your issue tracker, and it seems that there are many great ideas :)

I'm not sure however, if you can connect with AD with just an LDAP library. Its possible, but there are limitations. However, my guess is (and I'm not a real Linux guy) that these features will be available via the Samba 4 API however. I'll check it myself when I have some time left.

Python, .... although I'm Dutch, I'm a little bit allergic to Python. No pun intended though.

Anyway, Good luck, your NetXMS is great software!

Regards,
Joham