NetXMS Support Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Network Configuration Management  (Read 182 times)

ahd-develop

• View Profile
Network Configuration Management
« on: March 07, 2019, 06:26:32 pm »

What about adding network configuration management?

I had started making my own. Below is the output of my config diff check. The only thing out there currently that is opensource is Rancid, Oxidized, rConfig, and a few others. I had used cattools before SolarWinds bought em up years ago and it was a major asset to network management and something that saved my bacon many times.

With NetXMS, Devolutions Remote Desktop Manager, and some form of network configuration management it'd be easy for a small staff to manage a very large swath of network infrastructure.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 06:49:05 pm by ahd-develop »

tomaskir

• https://unimus.net
    • View Profile
Re: Network Configuration Management
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 07:21:27 pm »

I would recommend checking out Unimus.

Takes literally 15 minutes to go from nothing to managing a network of 1000 devices.
Unimus has a native NetXMS connector, so you can sync your Unimus instance with NetXMS.
(no need to add devices into 2 systems)

Full config management and change management for 120+ vendors/devices.
(and full config change notification emails with a graphical diff in the email)

Also Mass Config Push for network automation.

Not FOSS however, so it might not fit your requirements if you are looking for a FOSS solution.

Tursiops

• View Profile
Re: Network Configuration Management
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 03:24:53 pm »

If you want full configuration management, Unimus is probably the way to go with NetXMS.

If you're just after config backups and diffs (not really management, as you're not pushing anything back), you can probably use tftp servers and git.
For example, we've configured our Ciscos to write a config backup to a tftp server on any config save. That server runs git for versioning.
For our Brocade switches, we use the configuration change traps to trigger a config backup via SNMP Write to the same tftp server. Same git.
I'm sure similar things can be done for other vendors.

It really depends on what you're after I guess.