Network Traffic Monitoring

Started by shovandas, November 27, 2013, 03:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovandas

Hi Team,

I required a Network Monitoring Tool (Open Source) and finally looking at the documentation and slick setup instruction of Netxms, i have preferred to evaluate this software. But having a Network Monitoring Software in place, our first criteria is to Monitor the Network traffic over LAN AND Content (Internet Traffic such as Email, Internet Download & Internet Upload) moving to and fro over internet from LAN through a Proxy Server which works as Gateway to access internet from Lan.

As  I am new to this tool, so i want to know if my basic requirement can be fulfilled with this software or not if I setup this Netxms server at our proxy server; then i ll prefer to explore further. I can understand, that it may not be OTB and requires configuration.

Please help me finding the direction.

Thanks
Shovan

Iliyan Vutov

This could be easily achieved via SNMP. If you're running Linux you can setup network counters in NetFilter like:
# WEB Traffic
iptables -I FORWARD -s $localnet -d 0/0 -p tcp --dport 80
iptables -I FORWARD -s 0/0 -d $localnet -p tcp --dport 80

After that you can see something like (for the purpose of example I'm using INPUT chain):

root@green:~# iptables -L INPUT -n -v
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 1265 packets, 181K bytes)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         
  170 30091            tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:80
root@green:~#

Whit a little help of AWK you can make a script that will get bytes value:

Create a file.sh and put that command in it. After that extend your SNMP functionality by adding a line like such in snmpd.conf:

extend webtraf  /bin/sh /path/to/file.sh

Don't forget to restart your snmpd. Then call snmpwalk:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c community IP.ADD.RE.SS iso.3.6.1.4.1.8072.1.3.2.4.1.2

It should return something similar to

iso.3.6.1.4.1.8072.1.3.2.4.1.2.7.119.101.98.116.114.97.102.1 = STRING: "313K"

And voila - this is the web traffic counter. After that you can easily create DCI with SNMP and put this OID to get the value.
I hope you've got the idea :-)
I guess there are other ways of getting that traffic but I can't think of any right now.

Cheers,
Iliyan