Option to change behavior of L2 topology maps

Started by Millenium7, November 06, 2019, 07:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millenium7

I made a thread about this a while ago but can't find it
My understanding was NetXMS builds L2 topology maps by looking at MAC addresses on a port, but it has a restriction that the port must only contain 1 MAC address. This means its impossible to build a L2 topology map if there are wireless links because at minimum there will be 3 (other device/switch, AP and SM radios)
The vast majority of our network is wireless hence L2 topology has been useless to me. But i'd like the ability to use it and create from a seed router in our network and see the links that connect to all other directly connected switches/radios coming off it

And i'd also like to use a separate instance of NetXMS to map out unknown networks that contain wireless links between buildings etc

I have no idea how hardcoded the current implementation is. But it would be nice if we could override this behavior in server configuration, or on a map-by-map basis so any additional MAC addresses on a port are shown. Or if node for that MAC is not known just add all extra ones as a ? symbol
I.e
SwitchA
   |
? (MAC of AP AND SM)
   |
SwitchB
  /        \
Node1  Node2

That is much more useful than using SwitchA as seed and nothing at all shows up. And SwitchB only shows Node1/Node2