Populate Layer-2 Discovery Map with CDP

Started by johnkv, March 01, 2011, 01:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnkv

I've been using the development console (I guess it is now Console 1.1.0).  Under Layer-2 discovery I got the error that my device doesn't support it.  Checked it with Info LLDP poll, no output, but CDP does work.  (Some of my Cisco gear is EoL).

It would be great to have the layer 2 topology work from CDP as well as LLDP.

Victor Kirhenshtein

NetXMS supports topology discovery via CDP. The message "device does not support layer 2 discovery" is sometimes misleading, because it can be shown in case of other errors too. Check "Capabilities" box on overview page - there should be "Yes" in from of isCDP attribute.

Also, what version of server you are using?

Best regards,
Victor

testos

QuoteCheck "Capabilities" box on overview page - there should be "Yes" in from of isCDP attribute.

Apologies for my intrusion. But, please where is "Capabilities" box on overview page ?
My Attributes section is empty.

Best regards.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Please download management console again - it's still named 1.1.0, but it was improved. After unpacking new console, run it with -clean command line option for first time. There were some "hidden" updates to console before actual 1.1.0 release. Now when 1.1.x branch is released, I will change version number when new versions will be published on web site.

Best regards,
Victor

johnkv

I'm still using the 1.0.10 server, but using the Development console (well, trying the dev console is more accurate, I still have 1.0.10 console installed).  And I did grab the latest one before I posted earlier.  I can manually poll for CDP in NetXMS and see the results.  Are you saying there may be a server error and I should troubleshoot that? (because l2 discovery does use CDP?)

johnkv

To further elaborate:

When I right click a node and select Layer 2 Topology, the error message is:  "Cannot get layer 2 topology for <node name>: Node has no support for layer 2 topology discovery."

If I right click the same node select Tools -> Info -> CDP, I get the correct CDP listing.  This is for a node that has no LLDP support.

Also, I do have the capabilities pane on the switch which brings me to another (albeit, slight) issue.  Some of Cisco's system descriptions are long and I have to get creative to get to the capabilities pane.  Maybe a scroll bar or description max width with text wrap would be nice.  See attached.  (Despite the cutoff on capabilities, that is the end of the window)

testos

Hi.

Problem persist in 1.1.1 version.

Best regards.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Can you please switch server to debug level 5, do topology poll, and send me debug log? In version 1.1.1, you can do this without stopping server:

1. In management console, connect to server's system console - select Tools->Server Console
2. Enter "debug 5" command
3. Do forced topology poll on the switch in question
4. Turn off debug by typing "debug off" in server's system console

You can either post log here or send it to [email protected].

Best regards,
Victor

testos

Hi Victor.

I managed to solve this problem by reinstalling NetXMS server v1.1.1 again from sources  ???.

Thank you for your help