Sending SNMP Trap from NetXMS to another NMS

Started by Sumit Pandya, July 07, 2011, 11:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumit Pandya

I've an SNMP Agent which supports only SNMPQuery. We would like to send notification when value of OID reached to high-water-mark. These notification meaning SNMP-Trap to another NMS, SMS and Email notification.
Hence I'm looking for some kind of Event Generation support into "Transformation Script". Event Processing should also facilitate me for defining multiple actions for an event, like Generate a TRAP, Send SMS, email, etc

Above functionality could be boon for software which doesnot support SNMP but can provide information in file. NetXMS can read file and generate an alert (TRAP/SMS/Email) when particular content is found.

NetXMS can be though of being SNMP Trap proxy and can enrich some compatibility related information.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

I don't think that transformation script is a right place for SNMP trap generation. Normally you should create threshold, and generate traps, send emails, etc. from event processing policy via actions. Currently you don't have built-in option for SNMP trap sending, but you can use any command line tool capable of sending SNMP traps and call it via "execute command" action. I agree that having built-in SNMP trap sending action is a good feature, but until it is not implemented, there is workaround.

As for multiple actions for event - you already can do that - in one rule in event processing policy you can specify multiple actions.

Best regards,
Victor