Select polling IP address per DCI

Started by pzandvoort, December 21, 2011, 06:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pzandvoort

Not sure if this is already possible through some workaround or not. If it is, I can't figure out how :)

All my servers have some form of out-of-band management card or connection (Dell BMC, Dell DRAC, HP ILO, Generic IPMI, etc). This connection has a separate IP address that doesn't show up anywhere. I'd like to monitor some things from that connection and propagate it as part of the device status.

Optimally, I'd like to just add DCIs and select the IP address of the management card. Come to think of it, you'd need more than just the IP address: you'd need almost all the communication settings. Perhaps this is actually a device as a child of another device?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Yes, I want to create new object type "management board" for this type of situations. I'm also have a lot of servers with iLO boards :)
Currently you can use the following method as a workaround:

1. Create separate node object for management board
2. Add server node object to "trusted nodes" list of management board node object
3. Create DCI on server node object and specify management board node object as "proxy node"

Then you will have DCIs on server node object, but they will be collected from management board.

Best regards,
Victor