3.9-235 server/agents can't upgrade "file transfer failed"

Started by normalcy, September 20, 2021, 06:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

normalcy

Since upgrading to 3.9-235 for nxmc and server I can't deploy agent upgrades to windows clients.  I just get back an instant "file transfer failed" response.

Also get "cannot connect to NetXMS agent (internal error)" in status poll log on server.

Have restarted server (process and VM) no change.

nxdbmgr passes checks and is on the latest version.  Where should I look in the logs (and which level should I enable)?

Filipp Sudanov

Hi!

It's a recent bug, a patch release is coming in next few days with a fix for that. The bug is on the server side, so after upgrading the server it should start working normally.

normalcy

Just tried new server and agent versions of .280 and still getting the same error when trying to push the agent install package to the end clients (files transfer failed).

Also if I manually try and run the windows 64bit installer I'm seeing errors about entry points in ssl libraries from the looks of it. Will attach some examples in the morning.

normalcy

So definitely still getting the file transfer errors in .280 server/NXMC. 

If I manually uninstall the agent package on windows and take ownership of the c:\netxms folder and remove it (due to hardened system permissions) and then reinstall the agent package from scratch it starts working (in terms of file transfer and agent upgrades in the package manager).

So it looks like I might have to manually remove and reinstall out of band to netxms to get back to working.

Could it be an issue with hardened system permissions causing the file transfer / install to fail?  Guess you need logs next?

Filipp Sudanov

Is netxms agent running under SYSTEM or some custom user?

From which agent version are you upgrading? The server is .280 and you are upgrading agent to .280?

normalcy

Looks to be running under system, and hardened permissions are under that user. 

Server version is on 3.9.280, trying to upgrade windows 32/64 agents to 3.9.280 from a mix of 3.9.156 and 3.9.235

Perhaps not hardened permissions though, I've got one win10 and one win server 2016 that weren't installed with hardened permissions and had the same issue attempting to install from package manager.  Manual uninstall and reinstall of agent seems to fix it in that I don't then get file transfer failed errors in package manager when running a deployment (completed). 

I guess I only know if package manager install truly works when the next agent version is released to see if upgrades on these completed nodes also succeed then?

normalcy

Still not having much luck with deploying central package upgrades even with new 3.9.298 for server/console and with agent packages.

Still get "file transfer failed" errors deploying to older windows nodes (since 3.9.235) that have not have their agents manually removed and re-installed locally (this in win7/10 32/64bit).  I can see in c:\netxms\var\ that there are duplicate copies of the 3.9.298 installer with part0 through part7 appended to the exe 1024 bytes each).  Does NX-2129 apply to agent deployment?

On the machines that I manually removed the agents and deleted the c:\netxms folder I'm also getting an error "Agents version doesn't match package version after upgrade" after central deployment even though as far as I can see NPI version string and installed agent version match (no build hash in the agent version for eg).

Where do agent install logs get saved locally, can't see anything in c:\netxms\logs (after taking ownership from SYSTEM).

gdodd

I asked for clarification on the agent upgrades here

https://www.netxms.org/forum/announcements/netxms-3-9-version-3-9-298/msg30609/#msg30609

You will need to update the agent with some other package manager/manually. Going forward, agent upgrades should work as intended.

normalcy

I was worried that would be the case.  I'll look into some scripts to do this.

Cheers.