News:

We really need your input in this questionnaire

Main Menu

Missing Layer 2 Nodes

Started by hpitman, February 27, 2013, 12:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpitman

I'm using Polycom soundpoint IP sip phones (which currently don't support snmp).  These phones have an extra ethernet port which a computer can plug into so that at a person's desk the phone and the computer workstation only need to use one ethernet port on the wall.  It seems that netxms cannot figure out layer 2 mapping for my workstations even if snmp is enabled and the netxms agent is running on the workstation.  Netxms does know the switch port the workstation and phone are "indirectly" plugged into on the switch, but when you try to view a layer 2 topolog poll for the workstation, it says it cannot.  It is strange that it knows what switch port it is plugged into but cannot show it on the layer 2 map.  Any suggestions?

bdefloo

Hi,

NetXMS uses switch forwarding tables to determine on what switch interface a node sits. This FDB contains the list of MAC addresses a switch knows on a particular interface.

As your workstation is connected to the phone, and the phone to the switch, both addresses appear on the same switch port in NetXMS. But, as it cannot read SNMP values from the IP phone as if it were a switch, it thinks there's another switch or hub in between. Because of this reason, it says they are indirectly connected.

As for the Layer 2 map, I believe it's having the same problem, and won't draw two devices directly connected to a single switch port. (But I'm not sure about this part, haven't really used the L2 maps alot)

Kind regards,
bdefloo