Best Practice for Multi Site Environment

Started by LeapfrogIT, November 17, 2008, 06:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeapfrogIT

Hi ,

I have been playing with netxms for a few weeks now and am ready to test it out at a different location , what I can't seem to find the answer to though is what is best practice for managing multiple Sites from a central location .

What I am trying to avoid is a poll on 70+ servers constantly happening across vpn site link, to make the system happy to run that way I would have to ease back on some of my security which I am not willing to do for the sake of monitoring.

I noticed a hint of hope that I am wondering if someone can confirm for me. Duing the server install you are asked for the master server name ,  for your first install you obiously put that as the localhost , however if your trying to achive what i am could I just put in the address of the original Netxms Server ?

My thinking is that if I can have the agents at that site polled by a local netxms server which reports back to my master server then it would be a far more efficient way of managing my network.

Anyone have any thoughts views , suggestions etc ? am sure I am not the first to hope and use the product in this manner

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

We don't have full-scale distributed monitoring solution right now, but have plans for it's implementation. Currently, if VPN channel bandwidth is an issue, you can try the following setup:
Install central NetXMS server
Install local NetXMS servers in each remote location
Poll remote servers locally, and only forward serious events to central server
It's not a normal distributed monitoring system, because you will have to connect to each branch NetXMS server to configure it or view collected data, but at least you will have single point of all events in enterprise network. You can also tune this solution to, for example, collecting few important parameters from remote servers by central server, and all others by local NetXMS servers.

Best regards,
Victor

tobiasb

Hi Victor

Do you have a solution for distributed monitoring yet?

We have multiple locations (about 10 branches) connected with slow VPN links.
In each rebote location we have about 20 devices we want to monitor. In the mainsite there are a lot more devices to monitor.
We would like to have a central view over the whole infrastructure.

What is the suggested monitoring architecture for this?

Thanks
Tobias