Anyway to make Proxy Nodes subnet aware in their zone

Started by grae, March 23, 2023, 09:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grae

So it looks like proxy nodes are not subnet aware when added to a zone, what I mean by that is take the following

NetXMS Server Public WAN
All agents using agent to server tunnel configuration.

Zone A (with proxynodes 1 & 2 set under properties, communications, Proxy nodes)
Subnet 192.168.1.0/24
  • SNMPdevice1 - 192.168.1.2
  • ProxyNode1 - 192.168.1.3
  • WindowsAgent1 - 192.168.1.4

Subnet 172.16.16.0/24
  • SNMPdevice2 - 172.16.16.2
  • ProxyNode2 - 172.16.16.2
  • WindowsAgent2 - 172.16.16.2

Now in the console, I will randomly get device offline in each subnet, as though it appears to not have any defined or exposed method of selecting which ProxyNode is used for the subnet.  If I select SNMPDevice2 I can manually goto it's properties and choose Communications and specify the ProxyNode2 (thus overriding the Zone A defaults) and this clears the communications errors.

These Zones can be logical or physical separations, for example, different parts of a DMZ, or separate buildings / offices but still communicate back to say the same set of servers.  For example desktops in subnet 1 & 2 talk to servers in subnet3 but not each other.

My Question - 
Are the Proxy Nodes subnet aware and if not
Is there a way to set the communication Properties per subnet?  It seams selecting the subnet properties doesn't have that option and it would be a huge benefit (at least to me) to control communication via the subnet layer.

Thank You

troffasky

Plus one, subnet-level would be a great place to be able to define a proxy.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Multiple proxies within one zone intended for load balancing and HA - so all proxy nodes should be able to communicate with all nodes within zone. Server will distribute load between proxy nodes, and yes, this process is not subnet-aware (and is not intended to be).
If two subnets you have are actually in two different locations, you can split them into separate zones and assign correct proxies.
Overriding proxy on subnet level can be implemented relatively easy if load balancing and HA functionality is not required - i.e. only one proxy set on a subnet, it overrides any zone setting, and if this proxy is not functioning, communication with the subnet s lost. Replicating full zone proxy functionality on subnet level will significantly increase complexity of necessary changes, and in my opinion will be unnecessary duplication of functionality that is already exist.

Best regards,
Victor