Policies

Started by lindeamon, August 28, 2011, 11:45:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindeamon

hi,

i have created a new policy and i understand that this is the replacement for the agent agent configurations on the old console.
i have 2 questions:

1. in the old agents configuration i was able to filter the nodes i want to apply this configuration to,how do i do that here ?
2. i have created a test policiy based on the default policy i had in th old console and i have deployed it to a machine with agent 1.1.3 and i got an error message saying that the policy was not deployed due to "file open error".i have to mention that i use an xml file for event processing but the file was already there.what is the problem ?

10x,
lindeamon

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Agent policies deploy additional configuration files into config include directory. Location of that directory determined by parameter ConfigIncludeDir in nxagentd.conf. Default value for this parameter on Windows is "C:\nxagentd.conf.d". I just checked it, and it looks like agent installer does not add correct ConfigIncludeDir to nxagentd.conf and does not create appropriate directory. Currently you should do it manually on all systems where you wish to deploy configs via policies. I'll fix it till next release.

Best regards,
Victor

lindeamon

hi victor,

i am sorry but i still do not fully understand what does it mean.
what are the addition configuration files ?
what do they include ?
do they include files need for action ?
are they like hp openview's instrumentations ?

10x,

lindeamon

hello victor,

i still need th answers to the previous post but now i have another question.
i have figured out the way to create and deploy the policies and i have created a test policy which adds additional entry to the "server" parameter and i have successfully deployed it.when i choose the node i have deployed it on and choose to edit the agents config i do not see the change that the policy should have done.
how do i see it ?

10x,
lindeamon

Victor Kirhenshtein

Quote from: lindeamon on August 30, 2011, 02:57:03 PM
i am sorry but i still do not fully understand what does it mean.
what are the addition configuration files ?
what do they include ?
do they include files need for action ?
are they like hp openview's instrumentations ?

Agent can have master configuration file (nxagentd.conf) and additional configuration files in include directory. On startup, agent reads all files from include directory and merges parameters from them with master config. Agent configuration policies can be used to deploy those additional config files to agents. You have to restart agents to apply those changes.

Policy functionality currently is very limited. I plan to ad more types of policies in the future - most important are log monitoring policies, instrumentation, and agent-based data collection.

Best regards,
Victor

lindeamon

hi victor,

now i understand and i think you know what my next question is...
if i have to do restart to the agent,how can i do it to all of the agents at once ?

Best Regards,
Lindeamon