Automatically re-discover credentials after polling failure?

Started by Millenium7, March 03, 2021, 03:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millenium7

Often we install equipment with many default values including SNMP string of 'public' and at a later time we go and update them. Problem is if NetXMS has discovered the device during this install phase it will be assigned 'public' as the SNMP string, it will never discover it again. So of course after we change it a bit later on, NetXMS will continually fail to retrieve anything from that device

Is there a way via script or other built-in method that after a node has failed to poll any data after multiple retries (or a whole day) it will re-try all the credentials listed under Network Credentials?

Filipp Sudanov

The intended behavior of NetXMS is the following:
- on each configuration poll we are checking, if we can comminicate with the same community string, as before
- if we can not, then search sequence is started - first using snmp v3, then with v2c and 1 we try the community strings listen in Network credentials.
- If working snmp community is found, it's updated into properties of the node.

So it should be able to restore communication if community name is changed on the device.
Check if "Prevent automatic SNMP configuration changes" is not set in node properties.
Share output of configuration poll after community name change on a node.

Millenium7

Hmm it definitely isn't the case
I did check 'Prevent automatic SNMP changes' and that is not enabled

I'll get back to you with config output, but right now if I change SNMP string on the device, it will forever fail polling in NetXMS until I either manually update the SNMP string in NetXMS to match, or I delete the node and wait 24hrs for automatic network discovery again

Victor Kirhenshtein

What if you run full configuration poll on it manually? Also, do this node respond to ping or it is only accessible via SNMP?

Best regards,
Victor