Can variables/custom parameters be used in Thresholds?

Started by Millenium7, December 10, 2019, 04:17:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millenium7

Is it possible to use custom parameter values, or variables in Thresholds?
Or alternatively if I use a template to apply DCI's, and then manually edit the DCI threshold values on a particular node will it still be linked to the template, or will it convert it to a standalone DCI so that any further changes to the template won't be updated on that node?

I want to be able to use templates for monitoring RSSI and SNR on radio's but enter known baseline's as threshold values
So that i.e. LinkA is installed, we know that the master and slave are both -55db RSSI on install, master has 34db SNR, slave has 28db SNR
LinkB is installed, it's -68db, master has 20db SNR, slave has 35db SNR

Each of these nodes I want different thresholds. If LinkA drops to -60db thats bad, its gone out of alignment, obstruction has gone up, trees have started growing etc. but LinkB would need approx -72db as its threshold, we will never get it to -60db thats not a suitable threshold so I can't apply that for every node. Likewise they all have different known SNR margins. I want to alert for progressive changes over time so we can schedule spectrum scans and pick a new frequency as new radio's go up and cause more interference etc. I want to do this way before the link actually has an issue, not just wait until it starts dropping packets and customers complaining

Millenium7

Additionally. Is there a way to disable threshold processing for a particular DCI that is obvious? I know I can use sticky acknowledge to disable event processing of thresholds, but the icon for warning/alert/error etc remains. I also know I can disable that DCI but I don't want to do that, I want to continue collecting data but I just want to terminate all visible notifications for a particular DCI on a particular node, but a way to know that its disabled

The use case is maybe we have a link that we know is bad but they havn't paid their bill, they aren't under contract etc. We're happy to just leave it alone and don't want any alerts about it. Fast forward 6 months and we go and improve the link, chop down trees, do whatever. Now suddenly we do want alerting
I don't want to have a difficult time 'resetting' the alerts on this node. I ideally would just like a simple option when right clicking on a DCI to "Disable threshold processing" and the colour changes from green to purple or something different so it stands out as 'this is monitored, but ignored' and without changing the entire node icon (since I do care about if the node is entirely down or suffering other issues and want to see it)

Another use case is i'm about to implement FCS monitoring to detect cable errors. But there's a known issue with some vendors equipment (Ubiquiti Airfiber 24 and Cambium PTP) + MikroTik routers that will report a false FCS error consistently every 30/60/90 seconds. I want to disable FCS monitoring on just those interfaces. But again I need some way to know that its disabled, so later on if we change the radio or use a different port it's easy to see that i.e. ether2 FCS monitoring was disabled, ok now i'll re-enable it because that radio is no longer on that port. And I want FCS monitoring now for the new radio to detect a cable error in the future

Filipp Sudanov

You can use the following macro in threshold value field: %{custom_attribute_name:default_value}. With that you can specify actual threshold value on the node itself in a custom attribute. Nodes, that do not have such attribute will use the default_value.

If you want more customization you can use %[script_name] macro that will be calling a script to calculate the threshold value.

As for disabling thresholds for particular DCIs - you can use the same macro as above and put some huge value to the custom attribute, that will never get reached. Or you can put node into maintenance - then DCIs are collected, but no events are generated.

Millenium7

Thanks. Scripts are potentially even better, that would give me enough flexibility
I'll have to think of a way to ignore a particular DCI on some nodes. I don't want to use maintenance mode because I want to ignore only 1 DCI for a node, but still get alerts about other serious problems

I'm thinking maybe at this point in time the way i'll do it is with a combination, custom parameter but also have a monthly script that runs and looks for any nodes with that custom value higher than i.e. 999999 or -1 and if so it'll email me a summary report so that way I can have a regular notification to see if any I should change back to normal monitoring

Are there any plans to have a simple 'ignore DCI thresholds' value implemented into the right click menu though?