Centralized package mangement

Started by Benjamin Dill, September 24, 2014, 09:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjamin Dill

I'm currently thinking about using NetXMS for centralized package management. My idea is to collect information of some client based package manager like chocolatey under Windows or apt under Linux and control the packages in NetXMS. I'm talking about smaller networks which don't need a full-blown software distribution solution, just a simple possibility for installing, uninstalling and updating packages on some or all systems in the network.

For that purpose some additions in management console and agent would be helpful:
- I think NetXMS shouldn't reinvent something new for what concerns the actual package management on the client. A generic interface (in form of some additional config parameters in the agent configuration) would be enough, calling external commands for collecting installed packages, installing a package, updating etc. This can already be done using config parameters ExternalList or ExternalParam.
- A policy for software packages like the existing one for agent configuration, which automatically installs and updates the defined packages on nodes. Maybe right now possible using actions and some external scripts, but I definitivly don't want to do that.
- A few overviews which show the actual package status on one and many nodes. I don't think this is possible right now.
- Some context menu options for quick install and uninstall would be nice. Available through object tools at the moment.

What do you think?