Check latency on remote hosts

Started by Iliyan Vutov, October 02, 2013, 03:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iliyan Vutov

I am trying to figure out how to check connection status to remote host (using PING to check latency and packet loss) without having agent installed on that host. One option, I am using now, is adding PING section in the agent's configuration on a local host to check the remote one, however I cannot measure uptime of the connection between me and the remote host as a Business Service.
I want to define NODE object for the remote host and add PING checks on it to check the latency and packet loss. Is there a way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Iliyan

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Yes, you can create node object and then define DCI with data really being collected from another node. You should set "proxy node" property in your DCI to the node where data collection really occurs. For example, you have server node (MGMT) and monitored node (TARGET). You configure PING subagent on node MGMT. Then create DCI for ping subagent on node TARGET with proxy set to MGMT. It will collect data from MGMT, but it will be associated with TARGET.
You have to add node where you create proxied DCI to proxy node's "trusted nodes" list, or turn off trusted nodes checking by setting server configuration variable CheckTrustedNodes to 0. A bit more detailed explanation of trusted nodes concept is here: http://wiki.netxms.org/wiki/SG:Security_Issues.

Best regards,
Victor

Iliyan Vutov