Check telnet is listening on host

Started by corkies, August 19, 2008, 06:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corkies

How does one monitor for telnet port on a remote host.  I do not see it listed as a service and tried custom but not sure im doing it right.

Alex Kirhenshtein

There are no telnet check at the moment, but you can use "User defined" service check for this:

*) Right click on node -> Create -> Service
*) Type any name; set "Service Type" to "User defined" and change "TCP/UDP Port" to "23"
*) Press Ok to save changes

corkies

what about from a monitored host to check if it has telnet to another host?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Yes, it's possible. You should have NetXMS agent on monitored host, and have portCheck subagent loaded. Then in properties of network service you wish to check set poller node to monitored host with portCheck subagent.

corkies

Okay im really missing something here.

I have an agent on 10.x.x.x  that needs to test telnet port on host 123.1.x.x

I goto 10.x.x.x create new service where do i give the hostname 123.1.x.x

Ive also looked at the netxms tests but once gain the netxms->agent-Custom test not sure of what format to give it the 123.1.x.x 23.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Quote from: corkies on August 27, 2008, 06:34:20 AM
I have an agent on 10.x.x.x  that needs to test telnet port on host 123.1.x.x

You should go like this:

1. Ensure that portCheck.nsm (or libnsm_portCheck on UNIX) is loaded at 10.x.x.x
2. Create node object for 123.1.x.x
3. Create network service object under node 123.1.x.x, set it's port to 23
4. For that service object, set poller node to 10.x.x.x

This will cause server to monitor telnet port on node 123.1.x.x from node 10.x.x.x. If something goes wrong, service object will change it's status to CRITICAL.

Alternative way, if you wish to use DCIs:

1. Ensure that portCheck.nsm (or libnsm_portCheck on UNIX) is loaded at 10.x.x.x
2. Create new DCI on 10.x.x.x for agent's parameter ServiceCheck.Custom(123.1.x.x,23)

This will create DCI which will check port 23 on host 123.1.x.x when polled. Values can be following:

0 = service ok
1 = bad arguments
2 = connect failed
3 = protocol handshake failed

Best regards,
Victor

corkies

This seems to be working great now.  Thanks for the help.