Communication to agent stops working

Started by lbdecloedt, August 27, 2008, 05:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbdecloedt

I have a problem with NetXMS communicating with the agent but before I jump right into the issue I will provide background information.

I originally had the NetXMS server in install on a report server with SQL 2005 installed using NetXMS version 2.19, everything was working fine (only one NIC connected). I was then asked to move it to another workstation again everything was working fine. I have now been asked to move it back to the original report server. Everything is not fine anymore.

I made sure that I preformed a fresh install (previously uninstalled NetXMS) uninstalled the agent and deleted NetXMS folder. Detached database in SQL 2005; deleted user account and removed the DB and log files from the SQL data folder.

Installed version 2.21 install went without a hitch. Upgraded agents to version 2.21, open NetXMS console and started receiving node objects however they all showed agent inactive. In the setup I used localhost for the server and pointed the agents to IP of server (172.28.7.29) at this point I had two LAN connection on this server, I disable to 2nd LAN (172.28.7.196) and restarted server which failed to restart. When I checked the event logs there was a log that stated the "database was locked by 172.28.7.196" after searching this forum I found the command to unlock the DB. This allowed the service to restart in which case when I polled the status of the node I got the message that the Agent was running.

After several uninstalls and reinstalls and I have since upgraded to version 2.22 Console and agents I have determined my issue but not sure how to fix it.

When installing NetXMS with one NIC connected (172.28.7.29) everything works fine but as soon as I reconnect the 2nd NIC NetXMS can no longer communicate with the agents.

I need both NICs connected is there anyway to fix this? ???

Also when I created a management pack and then tried to import it, it could not because it did not save the pack with the .nxmp extension, so I had to recreate my events and templates each time I reinstalled the program. Can this be fixed? ???

Thanks in advance!!

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hello!

If you have two (or more) IP addresses on your management server, they all should be listed in agents' MasterServers parameter. In your case, all agents should have in nxagentd.conf

MasterServers = 172.28.7.29, 172.28.7.196

Best regards,
Victor

lbdecloedt

Thank you, I will verify this configuration.
Also, I will set the agent to use the server name instead of the IP. :D