Communications Failure on WMI Queries

Started by toad, October 06, 2008, 10:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toad

We have netxms 0.2.22 installed on a Windows 2003 server. An agent is installed on on Windows 2003 server with wmi subagent.

Running the wmi query WMI.Query(root\MicrosoftIISv2,select * from IISWebService,status) works if the agent has been restarted, however, a subsequest running of the same command fails with "Cannot get parameter: Communication failure". Restart the agent and the command works.

Running any other agent command, ie System.Hostname, works everytime. Any valid WMI Query works just once. Is there anything either I have missed or doing wrong?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Looks like a bug in WMI subagent. I'll check it today.

toad

Many thanks Victor ... it was "doing my head in" until I tracked down the sequence. Look forward to your reply

toad

Victor - do you have an eta on a fix for the WMI agent? I know that the older version has worked, however, I would like to continue with the latest version but have limited time to get a monitoring solution going here in the office.

regards

Geoff

Victor Kirhenshtein

You mean that agent version 0.2.21 was working with WMI without problems? This information can help me a lot with debugging. Could you please confirm that by installing older agent version on a host?

About eta - I'll try to fix it as fast as possible, but unfortunately I still cannot reproduce this problem in my environment.

Best regards,
Victor

toad

Sorry for the confusion - WMI worked with the 2.21 version of server and agent. I have a new environment with 2.22 installed and it fails on all WMI queries other than the first. I have since installed the 2.21 agent on a server and the same error occurs, ie the first WMI query qorks, the others have communications failure.

toad

I have uninstalled 2.22 server and agents and installed 2.21 server and agents. All WMI Queries on ALL servers, including the server where netxms server is installed, fail communications after the 1st WMI query has completed.

Victor - if your test server and now my 2.21 install are failing then it pints to a problem in my install. I used defaults to install on a Windows 2003 SP2 server using MS SQL for the database. Please advise me on where we can investigate from here.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hello!

I have found a bug in WMI subagent, which may be the source of your problem. Could you please try to replace wmi.nsm with attached one and test it?
It is built for 0.2.23, but should work for 0.2.22.

Best regards,
Victor

toad

Victor - you are BRILLIANT! The new wmi code WORKS .... ohhhh yeah ... sorry about that but now I can use the full functions of this fine product and get those WMI stats that I need

many thanks

toad

Victor - the 2.23 version of wmi works well, however, the 64bit wmi needs the new version as well. Can you please provide me with the 2.23 version of wmi?

many thanks

Geoff