Dashboards and templates

Started by stam76, September 16, 2021, 11:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stam76

Hi,

I have not installed NetXMS yet but I am looking for a replacement to our current solution, however, would I be correct in thinking that I need to first create custom dashboards for everything?  Are there any templates that we could use to make it quicker?

Thanks

Stam

Filipp Sudanov

A dashboard is typically something that displays data about some business-critical things - e.g. condition of all web servers, etc. So generally there are not many dashboards and it's hard to automate their creation, so yes, dashboards are created manyally (also some tweaks are possible, e.g. export dashboard's .xml, modifying it and importing back).

But dashboards are not the only way to see data in NetXMS. You can open last values for any node, you set up summary tables - in that a table with multiple predefined columns is displays for all nodes added to a specific container (that's folder of nodes, one node can be present in multiple containers). From last values you can easily open graph and history for each metric. And there's performance tab that allows to display graphs for one node - it's configuration is coming from templates, so e.g. for web servers you could have additional template that's collecting nginx metrics, these metrics could have checkbox "display in performance tab".

stam76

But a majority of other monitoring systems have default dashboards which can be amended.  Starting from scratch and essentially copying the format of other NMS, seems to be a lot of work and effort. Unless I am mistaken about something?  :o

Filipp Sudanov

Can you give some details on what do you expect on these dashboards / what are the dashboards on these NMSes? Are they per-node dashboards, or they are system-wide dashboards? Do they show some data for all nodes?

AleCoelli

Hi Filipp..
   both performace tab and dashboards lack in one point: we need to easly change the shown timeperiod of the graphs and all the timeperiods of that performance tab/dashboard should be sinconized.
I also think that could be an idea to give an option to generate a custom dashboard from a performance tab: it could be used as base for dashboard customizations.

Thanks
Alessandro

AleCoelli

last thing [for today  ;D 8) ]
Double scale graph are a must have for ICMP monitoring:

RED for packet loss, linked to right y axes, GREEN for response time, linked to te left y axes

Thanks
Alessandro

Filipp Sudanov

Hi!

I've added a couple of issues for these features:
https://track.radensolutions.com/issue/NX-2248
https://track.radensolutions.com/issue/NX-2249

NX-2249 is probably lower in priority, but might be done at some point.
Dashboard generation from performance tab is technically possible, but there's a lot of higher-priority things.