DCI ICMP

Started by rchab, January 14, 2021, 07:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rchab

Hello
I want to monitor my internet connection.
So I want to add DCI with ICMP.PacketLoss to my xms server.

I have always  Error in my value.
I don't understand where is my mistacke.

I try to add DCI directly to my server and I create a tempate => same result
WHen I ping (8.8.8.8) directly from server (with putty), I have an answer from 8.8.8.8

Thanks for help

Filipp Sudanov

There are two ways of doing ICMP pinging.
- Collecting parameter from agent. Agent should have ping.nsm subagent enabled. E.g. Icmp.PacketLoss(target) - origin in DCI properties should be "Agent".
- Server periodically pings nodes and collects statistics. This statistics are available via DCIs of origin "Internal".

See for more information https://www.netxms.org/documentation/adminguide/icmp-ping.html

rchab

Hi.

It's what I want to do using DCI and didn't works.
I read the docuementation and I think I use them correctly.

Could you look at the picture to verify if I didn't make something wrong ?
thanks

Filipp Sudanov

As per above screenshot - you are using parameter of origin "Internal". In this case, the parameter should be just "Icmp.PacketLoss" and it will return stats for pinging node's primary host name. Option for specifying IP address in brackets if for situation, when you set checkbox "Collect ICMP response statistics for this interface" in properties of an interface of a node.

rchab

So I can't ping an external IP adress ?

I want to monitor my internet connection with pinging an external adresse (1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8).

I read the documentation and it's written : For example, ICMP.PacketLoss(8.8.8.8) parameter will provide packet loss for target with IP address 8.8.8.8.

so I don't understand what is wrong in my config.

Filipp Sudanov

You can ping external IP address. For that set up the DCI on a node that has NetXMS agent (that could be the same node where you have netxms server - normally you should have netxms agent running there). Select DCI origin "Agent" and use ICMP.PacketLoss(8.8.8.8) parameter.