[SOLVED] DCI Table Threshold Script?

Started by lweidig, May 03, 2021, 06:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lweidig

Wondering if it would be possible to allow scripts to be processed in thresholds like you can for a single value collection on tables.  Our specific case is that we have a device that has a fan speed table (simply index / fan speed in RPM's) and devices may have anywhere from 1-5 fans depending on model.  We have another polled value which represents a temperature.  If the temperature exceeds a threshold the fans should start.  If they have 0 RPMs when that temperature is exceeded this triggers to us the fan has failed and we need to look at replacing it.  Looking for an elegant solution to trigger these events.  Suppose I could put it into the processing for the board temperature but logically it seems to be better placed with the fan table.

Hoping this makes sense, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Do you really need a table or you can replace it with instance discovery? If yes then you can just set usual threshold on DCIs.

Best regards,
Victor

lweidig

Victor,

I actually believe that instance discovery will work much better, just had not really looked into this much previously.  So, seeing the power that provides where would a table be a better solution?  Just trying to figure out the best use cases for all of the power of this wonderful tool!  Thanks as always.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Table functionality predates instance discovery. It was first attempt at handling multi-instance data, and it turns out to be quite complex in configuration and storage. Then instance discovery was added, and in my opinion it is much better approach for collecting multi-instance data, with tables have only limited use. Tables could be used when data really needs to be processed as a table - when you need to combine data from multiple columns and multiple rows (instances) for example. They also could be easier way to present multi-instance data on dashboards.

Best regards,
Victor