Discovery through proxy?

Started by Zebble, December 27, 2020, 08:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

from server log it looks like server considers all nodes discovered from ARP cache as unreachable. Just in case - are you running proxy agent as root? Also, are you sure that devices in remote zone accept SNMP requests from proxy agent IP address and that community strings are correct?

Best regards,
Victor

Zebble

Thanks Victor,

- running proxy agent as root
- devices in remote zone are accepting SNMP requests for anything in the local subnet (public community)

What did you see in the log that indicated this was a problem?  I didn't see anything that specific...

-Zeb

Victor Kirhenshtein

Actually I didn't immediately notice that those addresses are in zone 0. Lines like those:

2020.12.30 12:46:06.029 *D* [snmp.discovery     ] SnmpCheckCommSettings(192.168.1.5): failed
2020.12.30 12:46:06.030 *D* [obj.poll.node      ] AcceptNewNode(192.168.1.5): host is not reachable

I'll double check log tomorrow.

Best regards,
Victor

Zebble

Just did a fresh install of the newly released 3.7.95 and am still seeing the same behaviour.

Is there any way to check what's in the node discovery queue?  I've tried to use what I thought were relevant server commands but the lists were empty.  "Show queues" does show that there are just under 300 items in the node poller queue...

Is there any way to prevent discovery in specific zones?  I assume this can be done through a filter script.  I'll have to dig, but would be good to solve the discovery issue first.

FYI, the server console from the Tools menu seems to have disappeared in 3.7.95.  I'm using nxcmd instead.

Thanks again.

-Zeb

Filipp Sudanov

Regarding console from Tools menu - check "Access server console" user right.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Quote from: Zebble on January 05, 2021, 05:54:10 AM
FYI, the server console from the Tools menu seems to have disappeared in 3.7.95.  I'm using nxcmd instead.

Make sure you are using Java 11 - it seems that this plugin is incompatible with Java 8.

Best regards,
Victor

Zebble

Thanks to Victor's help, all this required was some tuning on the NetXMS server.   Turning on parallel processing and increasing the Discovery.BaseSize from 1 to 8 seems to have helped immensely.  The root cause seems to be the large number of subnets we had on our Default zone.  It couldn't keep up with the discovery process for subsequent zones.

I am now having an issue with discovery filters.  We want to only add devices that have SNMP enabled or the Agent installed.  However, when we turn these filters on in 3.7.116, nothing gets added.  If I restrict it to active scan only on a single test IP, and then turn off all filters, the device with agent gets added as expected.

If I check debug logs on the proxy agent, it does ping the device but never seems to try to connect via SNMP or Agent.

What it looks like is that if the filter is set to SNMP or Agent only, it only attempts a ping scan and since it hasn't seen it so far as an SNMP or Agent device, it doesn't bother scanning (a Catch 22).

-Zeb