NX User Agent Leaks Virtual Memory

Started by pryzrak, August 27, 2020, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryzrak

When I use the NX User Agent to create screenshots with auto refresh it fills virtual memory on the host within about 40 mins (see attached graphs). I use the auto refresh to view the desktops as a support function of the end points and see what the user is doing with their time. I see this as kindof a security advantage. Due to the over-utilization the NX User Agent crashes with the attached event.  Can the auto-refresh be improved to include higher frame rate video instead of screenshot photos? Or at least video of the desktop added as a feature. or at least prevent virtual memory overload while using auto-refresh? I have a temp fix by using the UserAgentWatchdog feature to restart the User Agent after it crashes.

Filipp Sudanov

Created https://track.radensolutions.com/issue/NX-1945 for the memory leak.

Auto-refresh was implemented as a quick fix to get desktop video.
The proper way is, certainly, live video stream with some suitable codec, but this requires developer's time which is always busy with something.

pryzrak

Thanks Filipp,

The user agent is a good improvement for user interactions. Adding codec support would be a good idea.

Maybe also support for software advertisements that the user could install without the need for an admin. But that may already be a future development direction.

Filipp Sudanov

Memory leak has been fixed. It will be included in next release.

It should be possible to run without administrative rights. Communication of user support application happens through main agent process. So it's necessary to start agent process as well.
This could be done by some sort of bat file, so you can try packing all this into self extracting archive or something.
Current issue will be that agent process will produce a console window while it's running. It could be possible to add hiding of it's window is some of future releases.
You can try experimenting with all this - may be there will be some other issues on that way.