Too many alerts

Started by millerpaint, October 12, 2012, 06:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millerpaint

Greetings,

Just upgraded to v1.2.3.1 - so far, so good! My question: When the gateway router goes down for any given subnet on our WAN, I receive "node down" alerts for each device within that subnet (servers, printers, etc.).  Of course, those nodes are not really down, just temporarily unreachable. In this situation, all I really need (and want) to know is that the gateway router is down, and that is all.  And then of course, a second alert when the router comes back up.

What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

-Kevin

Victor Kirhenshtein

Theoretically, server should do that automatically if it knows route from itself to nodes behind router. However, it often not working as expected. You can also do manual correlation using situations.

Best regards,
Victor

millerpaint

Greetings,

I believe I see the problem: Our NetXMS server does not see the remote router on our MPLS network when doing a traceroute to a node behind that remote router.  I will inquire with our network provider about this, as I would much rather have the server do this, rather than having to configure a situation for each remote subnet.

-Kevin

millerpaint

Hi Victor,

I spoke with our network provider; they do not believe that the remote router being "hidden" from a traceroute would have any impact on the NetXMS server knowing the route to the remote devices.

You mentioned that it it often does not work as expected - is this a known bug?

-Kevin

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

Yes, it is known bug.

Best regards,
Victor

millerpaint

Hi Victor,

Has this issue been fixed with v1.2.4?  If not, could you provide me with the bug #, so I can track it.

Thanks!

-Kevin

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

I've created an issue in the bug tracker: https://www.radensolutions.com/chiliproject/issues/180.

Best regards,
Victor

millerpaint

OK great, thanks Victor!

I am now monitoring 50 remote networks, and so far I am happy with NetXMS (and I have yet to upgrade to the latest 1.2.4 version)!

-Kevin