ESX Monitoting with vmgr.nsm/libvirt on Windows

Started by Spheron, May 07, 2020, 04:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spheron

Hello @all,

is there a chance to get ESX Hypervisor monitoring with vmgr.nsm/libvirt on a NetXMS Server (installed at Windows 10) to work?

Greetings
Marco

Filipp Sudanov

libvirt is not well supported on Windows and only old version is available.
I'd advise to use a separate linux system with netxms agent and libvirt.

Spheron

Thanks for the hint...  ;)

Do you know if libvirt bundelt with the netxms agent package (debian) or must i install libvirt?

Greetings
Marco

Filipp Sudanov

libvirt is specified in dependencies of netxms-agent-vmgr, so will get installed automatically when you instal netxms-agent-vmgr package.

Mr.Technocracy

If NetXMS is installed on a Windows 2019 Server and the vmgr subagent is added to the configuration, will libvirt get installed automatically? If libvirt doesn't get automatically installed, can I install the Windows version of libvirt (https://libvirt.org/windows.html)?

The Hypervisor monitoring documentation (https://www.netxms.org/documentation/adminguide/hypervisor-monitoring.html) in the NetXMS Administrator Guide doesn't do a good job of explaining any of this, or even what the basic requirements are (i.e., Linux only, Windows requires additional steps, etc).

Filipp Sudanov

Because libvirt library is not well supported on windows (current version is old and may have bugs that are still not fixed in it) we do not compile vmgr.nsm for windows at all.

Mr.Technocracy

Quote from: Filipp Sudanov on July 01, 2020, 01:43:41 PM
Because libvirt library is not well supported on windows (current version is old and may have bugs that are still not fixed in it) we do not compile vmgr.nsm for windows at all.

That being the case, shouldn't you add something to the Hypervisor monitoring documentation to explain this? Again, this goes towards listing basic/minimum requirements.

Filipp Sudanov

Added some info into documentation. Feel free to comment if anything else should be added.