Geolocation & Map Questions

Started by Tursiops, February 03, 2017, 04:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tursiops

Hi,

I've started putting some location data into NetXMS and also installed an Android agent to test Geolocation History.
The server is currently running 2.1-M1.

Using this left me with a few of questions:
- When I add containers to a map (I've added locations to containers as they represent entire sites including multiple devices) and right-click on a container in the map, NetXMS allows me to do some very basic things like "Status Map" or "Software Inventory". I can't do Summary Tables, Event Log or Syslog. However, if I do in fact select any of the available options first, the second time around I suddenly have all other options available to me as well. This was reproducible, presumably a bug?

- Is it possible for NetXMS to automatically obtain the longitude/latitude of a device from a given address rather than having to rely on a GPS receiver or manually entering the data? Guess using the Java API would work for this (having it integrated would of course be nice touch)?

- If I do have multiple containers (or nodes) at the same location, I can only see one in the map. I can't hover and maybe select one of the other ones or click through them. I can't even see that there is more than one container/node at the location. Not sure if that's something that could be implemented?

Cheers

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

#1 - seems like a bug, we will check this.

#2 - how exactly coordinates can be obtained? Is is possible to set geolocation from script, so for example if it can be obtained through SNMP it can be set in configuration poll hook. You can also use nxshell to run Python scripts for updating object coordinates from outside.

#3 - they just overlaps on map. We have to implement some sort of selector when there are multiple objects overlapping. I've added an issue for that: https://track.radensolutions.com/issue/NX-1162

Best regards,
Victor

Tursiops

For #2 I was thinking about Google's API, either from location data collected via SNMP (that would actually be difficult considering a number of devices do not allow sufficient characters for a full address in their SNMP location) or from manually entered location data. But I guess that will require a license if you have too many nodes and thus trigger too many polls a day.