Alarm configuation for Iomega/Lenovo ix2 NAS Drives

Started by m1975Michael, June 11, 2014, 11:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m1975Michael

Hello Everyone,

I am new to NetXMS.  I need to know how to properly setup alarms for the Iomega/Lenovo ix2 NAS drives.  I have been able to import the .mib file into NetXMS.  In the mib browser I am able to see the options that I can monitor but I have no idea how to set it up properly.  The units are running net-snmp for the agent.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

There are tutorial on creating alarms and sending notifications: http://wiki.netxms.org/wiki/How_to_send_e-mail_notification_when_disk_space_is_low - just replace NetXMS agent DCI with appropriate SNMP OID.

Best regards,
Victor

m1975Michael

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on June 12, 2014, 10:46:04 PM
Hi!

There are tutorial on creating alarms and sending notifications: http://wiki.netxms.org/wiki/How_to_send_e-mail_notification_when_disk_space_is_low - just replace NetXMS agent DCI with appropriate SNMP OID.

Best regards,
Victor

Thank you Victor for replying.  Is there a way to display all of the information the device can send through SNMP?  I am new to SNMP also.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

You can try to do SNMP walk from MIB Explorer view on different parts of MIB tree - but most likely you'll have to find some additional information about your devices - often data you get via SNMP is meaningless without description.

Best regards,
Victor

m1975Michael

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on June 12, 2014, 11:21:20 PM
Hi!

You can try to do SNMP walk from MIB Explorer view on different parts of MIB tree - but most likely you'll have to find some additional information about your devices - often data you get via SNMP is meaningless without description.

Best regards,
Victor

I will look at that.  Why would NetXMS find device NICS with eth0/l0 then later mark them unknown?  I know the devices are running net-snmp for the agent.

m1975Michael

I have been following the directions that you have presented me.  One thing I change was instead of Actions Configuration I just set up an Alarm.  I have not received the expected alarm.  The remoteAccess OID is .1.3.6.1.4.1.11369.10.3.2.  When I walk into it I get .1.3.6.1.4.1.11369.10.3.2.1.0, Type: integer, Value: 0.  The description in .1.3.6.1.4.1.11369.10.3.2.1 OID is Whether RA is enabled
0   Disable
1   Enable
Under General I changed the Data Type from String to Integer.  I did try String first.  Under Instance Discovery I have SNMP Walk - OIDs with .1.3.6.1.4.1.11369.10.3.2.1.0 as the OID.  Under Thresholds Instance named typed raEnabled corresponds to the .1.3.6.1.4.1.11369.10.3.2.1 OID.  I marked Process all thresholds. Function: Last polled value = 1 Operation equal to 1.  I have tried 0 also.  Activation event: is the event name I created.

The value should be 1 as remote access is enabled.

Last values for the device only shows the status.

I can't figure out why I am not receiving an alarm.  If any one has any suggestion it would be appreciated.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi!

You don't have to use instance discovery to monitor single item. All you have to do is to put .1.3.6.1.4.1.11369.10.3.2.1.0 as "parameter" on general page. Make sure that instance discovery is off.

Best regards,
Victor

m1975Michael

Quote from: Victor Kirhenshtein on June 15, 2014, 12:07:59 PM
Hi!

You don't have to use instance discovery to monitor single item. All you have to do is to put .1.3.6.1.4.1.11369.10.3.2.1.0 as "parameter" on general page. Make sure that instance discovery is off.

Best regards,
Victor

Can you please describe when and why you would use instance discovery?  Thank You.