Using Google Maps?

Started by bvirgil, February 27, 2012, 09:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bvirgil

It is possible to use Google Maps instead of OpenStreet?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Technically it's possible, but there are lot of licensing limitations, especially for using Google maps in desktop applications. My initial implementations was based on Google maps, but then I read terms of use and switched to OSM. Limitations that I can remember so far are:

1. You cannot access tiles directly - you have to issue rendering request each time you have to display map. For example, if you resize map window, you have to do new request to server with new map size.
2. Caching is forbidden
3. Map size is limited to something around 600 pixels
4. You cannot glue pieces of the map together to create a bigger map - that means that you cannot create large full screen view with geo map
5. You have limits on rendering requests per day
6. Google requires that application which uses Google maps should be publicly available - it's not clear if it's enough that source code can be downloaded, or monitoring service itself should be publicly available.

Of course, if you purchase commercial access to Googe maps, you will not have those limitations. If somebody wishes to integrate access for commercial Google map services, we can do it.

Best regards,
Victor

Athesis

Hi,

I would love to see Google Maps support here, at least for Sattelite Photos.