Interface templates?

Started by pzandvoort, September 14, 2010, 06:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pzandvoort

I have a variety of switches but most are monitored in similar ways. For instance, for all ports I'd like an event to occur when inbound or outbound errors occur. Or when utilization is above X.

You can obviously set this up as device based templates and apply, but is there a way to create interface based templates?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Unfortunately it's not possible.

Best regards,
Victor

johnkv

Not to bring up an old question, but this was the closest I could find to what I think I am looking for. 

I am trying to create PRTG like bytesin/bytesout per interface monitoring.  I tried to create a template using various variables in the parenthesis, but no luck.  For example, Net.Interface.BytesIn(*) tried things like %{node_id}  But I guess I need to make a DCI for each interface with each interface id.  Is there anyway to automate this?  (Can be a bit tedious when you're doing in/out on several 48 port switches or a 4 blade 6509).

johnkv

Answered part of my own question.  For switches the Index is what I use and it is template-able.  (I just need a 48 port and 24 port template)

That makes it much easier, originally when I noticed the problem was on servers that I am monitoring with agents and they are VMs so the indexes seem off (and varies between one and many interfaces).