Find Switch Port returns indirect info or error

Started by BillLortz, July 27, 2015, 08:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillLortz

I am running NetXms 2.0.M5 and have a network of Cisco switches.

The switches all have the Catalyst-generic driver associated with them.

If I view the switch forwarding database of a switch that has a node connected, I see in the node column that the database is showing that node.

But, if I go to the node and select "Find Switch Port", it reports an indirect connection to the wrong switch.   Often the switch it reports has a 2nd node that is communicating with the original node, so the original node appears on the trunk between the switches.   

If I try at a different time with the same "Find Switch Port" on the same node, I may get the error "Connection Port information cannot be found".   I can sometimes resolve this 2nd error by forcing topology polls on all the switches (not just the ones involved), but it doesn't last - eventually it returns to the state that displays the error message "Connection Port information cannot be found"

The switches involved don't directly connect to each other, they have a 10GBit connection to a pair of core switches.

I've attached some screen shots and the topology network map that NetXMS generated (which is accurate).   The example node is highlighted on the topology map.  I've also exported the topology map of the switch that the node is connected to because the screen shots only show a part of the info.    In the file Indirect-Switch.png I've highlighted the indirect entry.  The port associated with that entry is a 10Gbit trunk back to one of the core switches.

The node in this example uses only an Ping for polling, but I have the same problem with nodes that use the full NetXMS agent.

Let me know if you need additional info.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bill

BillLortz

Victor - do you need any additional information from me to diagnose this?