NXPUSH

Started by gmonk63, January 20, 2016, 12:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmonk63

Is it possible to cause a node to show as down from an external nxpush event ?   My reasoning for this is that we have lots of critical nodes that i would like to monitor less than the 60 sec interval for instance ping every 10 seconds or liess and I dont want to do this on the server because im sure decreasing the status interval to 10 seconds would cause the server to burst into flames  ;D ... but i would like to create a script that could do that and then send the results back to netxms say 0=ok  and 1=down     and have it create and alarm and just like it would if netxms was doing the ICMP requests..  I have experimented with nxpush and it seems i can only provide 0 - 4   from Warning to Critical but never a sys_node_down event

Thanks

gmonk63

Ok so i know i can send a nxevent  but when i send nxevent -d  -u admin -P pass 192.168.0.180 '100035'   i get invalid object id

gmonk63

I figured it out but i dont think this will work for me because once i remove icmp polling the node shows down ... is there any way to tell the server to prefer my script and not send its own icmp and only rely on the script to provide up down status ?

tomaskir

I suggest you NXAPUSH to a DCI.

You need to "Disable status polling" in node's "Polling" properties
Only setting "Disable usage of ICMP pings for status polling" is not enought.

After that, you can then set the DCI to "Use this DCI for node status calculation".
Its in the "Other options" of the DCI.

Please be aware that this combination might not be good - since you are relying on the script A LOT.
If your script dies, or whatever else happens to it, your node down detection will not work (since the push-type DCI will not get updated with new data, and therefore node status will not be re-calculated).
So if someone does "pkill thescript.sh", your monitoring will be dead.

gmonk63

What is the difference betweem nxapush and nxpush

tomaskir

nxapush is simply newer - on newer versions nxpush is not present anymore (specifically when installing from netxms apt repo).

Alex Kirhenshtein

nxpush connects directly to the server (and require matching version of the protocol), nxapush works over agent connection (and can work across versions).
nxevent still exist, but considered deprecated.

Quote from: gmonk63 on January 20, 2016, 02:46:45 AM
What is the difference betweem nxapush and nxpush

gmonk63

since this wouldnt be recommend then is it almost better to create a dedicated server for these device that need to be polled more frequently and only forward the up down events to the main server as to get as much of a realtime status as possible ?  Or would i still be limited to the polling frequency of the main server ? for instance if i create a server and have it poll icmp every 10 seconds and send that back to the main server will i only find out about that after the 60 second poll  on the main server kicks in  or would it be more of an instant status update from the slave server ..