Method to see every dropped packet / failed poll?

Started by Millenium7, September 06, 2023, 05:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millenium7

Occasionally I have a need to troubleshoot devices with very rapid pings/polls (at least once a second, ideally every 100ms) and need to be able to see every dropped packet. I want to override the default behavior on that DCI so if it doesn't receive a response within a set period of time, it doesn't just ignore it and try again on the next poll. It will still log the result (simple transform script to show -1 or some other value would be fine) so it easily stands out on a line graph and in the history

Is this possible to do?

Alex Kirhenshtein

Not really, system was not designed for this kind of usage without external tools.

Depending on your task, you can script around nxget/nxsnmpget/nxsnmpget.

Millenium7

Alternatively, can a transform script be used? I'm not sure how the polling engine works but if I did an SNMP poll every second, can I use something simple like

if ($1 == null) return -1;
return 1;

Will null (or any other value) be returned in the case of a failed poll? Or does NetXMS not consider it 'polled' until a response comes back and thus will not log anything in history unless it actually receives a result

Filipp Sudanov

Transformation script is launched when data collection returns some value. As far as I understand, it will not be launched if data collection returned error.