Monitor hardware raid

Started by raypetter, February 11, 2014, 06:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raypetter

Hi

I need to monitor raids on two raid-controllers, and get notifications if a hard-drive fails.

How can I use netxms to accomplish this?

If it matters, the servers in question are VMware esxi hosts, and the controllers are LSI SAS controllers. The servers also have ipmi, which might present options.

Iliyan Vutov

Hi,

Well, to tell you first, there's no easy way to accomplish this as VMWare doesn't monitor hardware status they we want to. You can try to enable monitoring on the hardware via CIM. You can follow this link to understand how to add LSI support on ESXi -> (http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Monitoring_LSI_RAID_Controllers_in_VMware
Then, only if you're using vCenter Server, you can test in case of hardware failure if an SNMP trap has been produced. If it does, then you can redirect all SNMP traps to the NetXMS server and create alarms.

raypetter

I've done some digging and found out that I can indeed install the extra LSI addons on esxi that are needed to do queries using ssh.

So I'll be making some parsing scripts and getting the data plotted in netxms. I plan to do the same for VMware montoring using VMwares own perl kit. There are plenty of nagios examples online and I expect no problems in engineering this for netxms.