Multiple IP ranges for a single device

Started by xenth, April 01, 2008, 03:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xenth

If I add a router with multiple interfaces to netxms, it shows up multiple times in netXMS (one time for each different range)

For example:
#1:    Port 1: ***.***.100.*** 
#2:    Port 2: ***.***.200.*** (DMZ)   
#3     Port 3: ***.***.144.***

Now If I put port 2 and 3 on unmanaged, they still show up in the object browser and map, I want to stop this from happening, how do I do this?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hello!

It's intended behaviour. System tries to build and maintain as much accurate IP topology as possible. Unmanaging interfaces means only exclude them from status polls, but they still be used for building topology. However, you can avoid adding node to specific subnets by deleting appropriate interfaces and disabling configuration polls on node.

Best regards,
Victor

xenth

NetXMS just got a whole lot better!  ;D   Thank you for the quick response!

xenth

Hi Victor,

I recently read one of your posts saying that this method is not the correct way to deal with this problem, do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this? Unfortunately I'm going to encounter this problem a lot so I would like to be sure that the solution is stable.

Victor Kirhenshtein

Currently there are no better solution. In next release, I'll add some kind of "ignore for topology" attribute. I didn't decide yet how it should be implemented - as global subnet exclusion list or interface exclusion list for node, or even interface object's attribute. What way you would prefer?

Best regards,
Victor

xenth

Your third option sounds the best :) Giving the specific interfaces that you do not want to monitor on nodes an attribute which would stop their "network range" from being created

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is an example of what would work nicely:

I add a router with two ports, one LAN port and one DMZ port, the LAN port runs at 192.168.130.* and the DMZ runs at 192.168.210.*

Now after the router has been added, both ranges are created in the object viewer.

I select the DMZ port of the router and select the option "Ignore for topology" , now I delete the 192.168.210.* range from NetXMS, I do a configuration poll on the router and the DMZ port is not added again.