Proxy Network Discovery filtering will only use PING or SNMP to discover nodes

Started by Zebble, January 12, 2021, 07:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zebble

I added this note to my original "Network Discovery" thread, but this is a new issue so thought I'd start a new thread!

If I enable filtering to Network Discovery, specifically in this case, turning on "Accept Node if it has NetXms Agent" and "Accept Node if it has SNMP agent":

-  Starts a ping scan.
-  Starts an SNMP scan.
-  Does not start an Agent scan.

The same happens if I only turn on "Accept Node if it has NetXms Agent" (and turn off "Accept Node if has SNMP agent").

If I set to "No filtering", it does all three scans (ping, snmp and Agent) and adds the node as expected.

Sounds like a logic problem where it won't do an Agent scan if filtering is enabled?  I'll take a look at the code, but hopefully this makes sense and can be repeated on someone else's network.

-Zeb

Zebble

In hopes 3.7.130 might have fixed this issue, I installed it.  No change.

Filipp Sudanov

Do you encounter this when discovering direct from server, via proxy or in both cases?

Victor Kirhenshtein

Also, please enable debug level 4 for tag obj.poll.node and show log file during discovery (there should be lines started with text AcceptNewNode).

Best regards,
Victor

Zebble

Thanks guys!

Just did a quick test and as per Filipp's request, the auto-discovery of NetXMS agents does work on the the server's network, but not on any proxy networks.

I'll capture the logs at debug level 4 on both the server and proxy agent if you still need it?

Filipp Sudanov

Zebble

Log attached in passworded ZIP.  I've sent you the password as a PM.

You'll see that the server discovers and successfully adds a NetXMS agent on its local network (206.xxx.xxx.25).

The proxy agent won't add a NetXMS agent on it's local network (192.168.223.250), even when I add it manually and start an active scan.

Hope this helps!

-Zeb

Zebble

Just upgraded to 3.8.120 and still the same issue.

The only workarounds so far are:

1)

- Enable SNMP on the same machine that's running the agent.  It will detect the node, add it, and then also discover that it has a NetXMS agent installed.

2)

- Turn on "Active Only" network discovery.
- Turn off all filters.
- Add ONLY the IP(s) of the agent(s) you want to add, and do a scan.
- Once added, remove the IP's from the active list.
- Turn SNMP and NetXMS Agent filter back on.
- Set network discovery back to "Passive Only".

-zeb

Zebble

3.8.166 still seems to have the same issue.  Should I open an issue on github?

Filipp Sudanov

I will try to replicate this next week, no need for the issue for now. BTW, we don't use github tracker much, issues are tracked in track.radensolutions.com/

Zebble

Thanks Filipp!

If you need any additional details or a guinea pig for testing, just let me know.

We're really starting to get deep into NetXMS and the more we use it, the more we're amazed.  Great work.