Network Driver type incorrect

Started by Nick Boardman, March 28, 2016, 08:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Boardman

Good afternoon,

First let me start off by saying that I love NetXMS!  We recently upgraded some switches from Cisco 3560, to the newer Cisco 3650-I know, what a terrible naming convention!  I noticed that the Ports tab no longer shows which ports are in use.  I think the problem is that these new switches have been given just the GENERIC driver by NetXMS and not the CATALYST-GENERIC that was in use on the old switches.  Has anyone seen this before?  I went into the database and changed the value but when I re-ran the discovery it changed it back.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Nick

tomaskir

You can force a driver for a node by setting a custom attribute "snmp.driver" for that node to the desired driver.

No guarantee the driver will work tho, since the new switches might implement things differently it their MIBs.

Nick Boardman

Thanks for the prompt response, I will give it a try.

Nick Boardman

The driver now shows up correctly, but alas the Ports tab is empty.  Any other ideas?  Like I mentioned in my earlier post, these are new switches and I allowed the object to be updated in NetXMS, perhaps I should have deleted the objects and re-added them?

tomaskir

It means that the new switches are not supported by the current CATALYST-GENERIC.

This means that Cisco changed something for this model in how the information which NetXMS needs is stored in the MIBs the device offers.

Nick Boardman

OK.  Got it.  On the Object Details tab it shows an OID of .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1826.  When I performa MIB walk, it tops out at the "ciscoProducts" level (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1).  How do I determine what MIB(s) I need in order to try to add it to the "netxms.mib" file?  I tried searching Cisco's site but it is B-R-U-T-A-L...almost as bad as HP's!  ;)

Victor Kirhenshtein

Hi,

CATALYST-GENERIC driver uses CISCO-STACK-MIB to map interfaces to physical ports. Unfortunately this MIB is not supported by 3650. It seems that we have to use ENTITY-MIB to find physical ports. Could you please provide result of SNMP walk on OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.47.1 on your switch (or even better switch stack)?

Best regards,
Victor

Nick Boardman

Hopefully this is what you were looking for.  I stripped out things like serial numbers and IP addresses, but marked those cells as modified.  Thanks for your help.